DIY Aiptasia Killer using Electrolysis

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dustin0479, Feb 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

Yes I have!
    it actually seems to work better than the first one. I have also moved it away from the other anode and watched for changes in the amount of bubbles, I did not see any difference from proximity.

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Does anyone think/know that this will work to eradicate waving xenia? I have it in increasingly invasive proportion and would LOVE to zap it with one of these . . . .

Thanks for any advice!!!

4. dustin0479

It should kill anything you an hold it against long enough

5. borge

borge Astrea Snail

Mm yes, gives me an idea how to get rid of damsells :cheesy:

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

hahahahahahahah

7. milkman

milkman Plankton

I have been looking for the DIY write-up and followed a link from another board. I really like your modified design. Just wondering what "law" of electricity causes the graphite to need to be 5" under the surface? Seems like as soon as it hits the water, it would complete the circuit?

Anyway, going to make one using your modified design. Having the graphite out of the way makes it easier to move around the tank. The pex is also easy to work with and much easier to find than different sizes of rigid acrylic.

Thanks for the contribution. I know they are going to sell tons of these, but regardless there are always those that want to DIY.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

That might not be a good idea, at least not inside the tank. Xenia like any other softies will exude a toxic chemical that will possibly be even worse if you kill them with that thing.

But that being said, yes it will kill them, it will kill anything it touches, I did in a couple of Zoa's by accident when I was using the one that I borrowed from one of the member in our club.

10. dustin0479

No "law". With the old design the graphite was up the neck of the rod requiring it to be deeper in the water in order for the graphite to be submerged.

11. dustin0479

Anyone build/use one yet?

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Funny that you ask this today. I just picked up the pex and an adapter on Friday but haven't had time to build it yet. Will post pics on this thread when I do. :)