DIY Acrylic Cement

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cuttingras, Apr 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

You also have to remember the application that website was using it for was for computer stuff which necessarily does not need to be water-tight.

Who knows it might work for something small, But once you want to do something big I dont know if its worth saving a couple bucks on the adhesive. Any way acrylic is pretty expensive, so if your spending money on acrylic sheets then might as well just shell out a few bucks more and know the stuff youre using is no going to fail.

Good find though because I have some scrap acrylics which I might use to build fan holders using this adhesive technique. :idea:

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Linda I have 100 tubes of it if you need some I'll ship it out to you. If any of you guys ever need it just holler . I/we always have a case setting around as well as good coral frag mounting glue pluge even :)

5. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I will also agree that the acetone alone is not enough. I work with Acrylic frequently and have always had such goodluck with IPS products I would never try to duplicate them. OPne of the great things about weld-on is that a properly sealed joint is stronger than the material itself.

BTW if you are assembling acrylic I would recommend using either #4 or #3. #16 is more for gap filing. The thinner varities will allow you to use the cappilary weld or the "pins" method.

The best way to get IPS products is to go to a Plastic supplier that sells acrylic. I know the ones local to me require you to have an account as they say that weld-on is a regulated and controlled product. I know that its also a no-no to ship it anymore too.