DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Borg1of2

Borg1of2 Astrea Snail

Hi,

Great thread. I noticed in your picture of your DT that you have egg crate across the bottom of your tank. I had not seen or read this up to this point, so was curious if this is a normal practice, or just something that you wanted to do.

Thanks
    Scott

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

The egg crate helps distribute the weight of the rockwork across the bottom glass. This way you dont have a rock putting alot of weight in one spot, it also makes sure that no sharp points are touching the glass. It's only 1/2 inch thick eggcrate so it doesnt affect the sandbed

4. Borg1of2

Borg1of2 Astrea Snail

OK. I thought the sand bed would do that for you. I guess it all depends on what you put down first, Rock then Sand, or Sand then Rock. I'll have to think about which approach. I do like the egg crate idea so Rock can go down first and then "bury" the lower part of the rock in the sand. Might make for less likelihood of rock moving due to tunneling fish. LOL

5. insanespain

Yes, you should never put your rock on top of your sand. Alot of saltwater fish like to rearrange the sandbed, which can tunnel the sand out from under your rock work causing it to come falling down, which can shatter your tank very easily. Also my rock work is zip tied together so that it is stable and not just stacked up waiting to fall down.

6. AquariumFanatic

AquariumFanatic Astrea Snail

Nice eye candy you got there. The lighting makes it look really good.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Did you receive any goodies from BRS yet?? Youre not too far from BRS (MN)!

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Yep, got my order friday actually. I've got to get to the LFS this week and pick up some salt and live sand. Going with caribsea Fiji Pink. Probably pick up a couple pieces of live rock to seed the sump with also. Will post some pics as soon as that happens. I havent been home all weekend so didnt get much done on the tank.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Oh I see, hope you enjoyed the 4th. I was home all weekend, got tanned with my kid, placed an order of GAC from BRS yesterday LOL!

Sounds like a good plan for this week as well!

11. insanespain

Lol, I got a little sun burnt myself. Went to "RED BUD" nationals motocross in Michigan.

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Where at? if you were in my neck of the woods you shoulda stopped by!