DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Oh no... FAIL.. LOL
    Well you can always change it later and Glass-holes.com sells Loc line stuff, reasonable shipping charge, I think. I have ordered from them and man, lightning fast shipping!

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Everything is looking great. Are you sure this is your first time setting up a reef? haha. Doesnt seem like it.

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey just out of curiosity why don't you tee off the pipe leading to the sump with a ball valve instead of wasting the electricity, the heat, the mess, the room, and the money of the mag 1.5???

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Lol thanks, and yeah this is my first reef. I just like to research when I'm going to do something and do it right. 6 months ago I knew nothing about saltwater, but between a few books, and a couple forums, and about..com, I learned alot. Youtube was very helpful also.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. insanespain

Well this is a bean animal drain setup, and there is really no good way to tee it off. Even if I could I'm pretty cramped for room. I didn't end up going with a mag 1.5, I'm actually going to try a maxijet to supply the fuge. We will see how it works.

7. insanespain

Tell me about it! Major FAIL. I figured I will be placing another brs order sometime in the future anyways so ill just get it then. It works the way it is at the moment so its good enough for now

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

why not t off your mag 7 line to feed the fuge?

10. insanespain

That is what I was going to originally do, but there again with the bean animal, if I wanted to take the fuge offline I couldn't just shut the ball valve to the fuge because the flow would increase to the dt and I would have to re tune the siphon on the bean. The fuge having its own pump just seemed the easiest way for me

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

whatever works for ya!
    btw just so you know i hav a mag9.5 on mine and its turned all the way up with no problems.
    im sure the mag 7 will be more than enough, just letting you know theres always that option to up the flow a little bit.

12. insanespain

Yeah I remember readin that on your build thread. That seems like a lot of flow thru your sump. I keep reading 10-20x sump volume, which isn't very much in my case, probably around 250gph if I figured my sump volume, and I'm probably at 450 with my mag7. But hey if it works for u then don't fix what ain't broken lol