DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Well I finally got out of my lazy mood long enough to finish the sump. I changed my mind from how I originally was going to design it.

Left section: Drains enter, skimmer will be in this section, whatever live rock will fit, runs through 1 inch bubble trap to middle section

Middle Section: Return section with Mag7 for DT return and Mag 1.5 for fuge

Right Section: Fuge fed by it's own Mag pump in the middle section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My silicone job is not pretty, but there is PLENTY on there so I can rest assured the acrylic dividers arent going anywhere anytime soon ;)

The skimmer is an Odyssea PS75 which I decided to take a chance on after reading a 67 page thread about modding them on another forum. Cost me a whopping 39.99 shipped to my door on ebay, and after just 4-5 days on my 29 gallon it was producing some decent wet skimate and the microbubbles had stopped almost completely, and it was all stock. We will be tinkering with the stock pump and airline and playing around with it, more on that later.

Got this handy piece of equipment off amazon with free shipping for 19.99

[​IMG]

This is the start of what will be a power/storage/ATO container cabinent. This was the original size, but I think I'm going to redo it and make it a little bigger. It will match the stand and sit next to it and house all the goodies all nice and neat.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

Well, I finally got the tank moved inside the house and plumbed up for the last time. It's dry at the moment, waiting on the BRS group buy to start tomorrow to get the final things I need.

After HOURS of messing with the stupid rocks, me and the girlfriend finally came up with a scape. It's completely different than what I originally had in mind, but I love it. Took alot of drilling holes and zip ties to make it happen.

With the lighting, and the tank being dry, it was SUPER hard to photograph. Here is the best one I could get with my crappy camera.

[​IMG]

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

dude! love that scape! tanks coming along good. you will love that power center, i cant imagine not having mine.
    We should start a LED 65g club haha (once we both figure it out)

5. insanespain

Haha thanks for the compliment. I love how the scape turned out. Looks way better in person.

No doubt on the led club lmao, if we could only ever get it down. I assume u are going to keep sps? My plans are softies and LPS only so it will be interesting to compare since I am going with 36 instead of 48

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

ya im leaning towards sps in this set up.
    although i always awww at lps tanks. im sure ill have a few to keep the tank from looking like a stick forest and to keep some movement in the tank.
    get that thing cycled already!!!

7. insanespain

I know, sps are cool but I hate all sps tanks with zero movement, I love things with long tentacles swaying in the current.

Tell me about it, I can't wait to get it cycling, as soon as my brs group buy order comes in I can get water in it and get it going!

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

That scape looks amazing.

10. insanespain

Thanks! I need to get some better pics of it

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So did you figure out what to do with the return outlet? You were trying to use some Loc lines?

12. insanespain

Well I have it figured out. But I forgot to order the loc line stuff with my group buy order! :hammer: