DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

looks good and u did a awesome job on the plumbing

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thanks. There are a few things about the plumbing I wish looked a lil better, but you win some you lose some. Now if I can just figure out this stupid Mag7. Its so loud it sounds like a bench grinder. I took it apart and all seems well. I'm thinking about returning it to the LFS.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

How is the overflow system working for u? Is it really dead silent or is there any trickle noise?

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

5. insanespain

It's pretty silent. In my particular setup, since I built my stand as low as possible, I was forced to use sweep 90s to go into the sump, and I get a little trickle noise where the water flows through those 90s. I am almost 99.9% positive that if you were to use 45s instead that you would have basically zero noise.

Other than that, the system is awesome. Starts flawlessly and is super easy to tune. Mine doesnt even hit the emergency on startup.

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

To complete the bean animal, you gonna need to put the siphon break on/off hose (?) like this on the secondary pipe. The end of the 1/4" should be off surface like 5/8" maybe, so the secondary starts full siphon when its needed.
    [​IMG]
    (its the emergency, main, and secondary from the right)
    I hope it makes sense.

7. insanespain

Yeah, I figured someone would catch that ::)

Right now theres just a small hole drilled in the cap. I havent made it to the home improvement store yet to get a fitting and some line.

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

10. insanespain

Small update: I returned the Mag7 and lfs is ordering me a new one so hopefully this one doesn't rattle. I scored a TON of free acrylic so I will be working on the sump, and my PS75 skimmer should be here today, hopefully mod it and make it work like its supposed to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. insanespain

Well, while I'm waiting on the new return pump, I was thinking about some of the things I will need to be picking up next. What kind of sand are some of you guys running? My first tank had Caribsea Ocean Direct and it is WAY too messy. I think I am going to have a Vortech MP10 and some nano ph's for flow.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Tanks lookin good :D