DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

One thing I noticed, and I haven't had time to play with it, but the mag7 is very loud. I can grab the hose and move it around in the sump, and when held at certain angles it becomes super silent. Anyone else have this issue? Its like when the pump is perfectly straight up and down its loud, but if tilted to the side slightly a vibration goes away and its quiet. I'm still puzzled as to why this is?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've had a mag9.5 for year and a half. Have taken it apart to clean only 1 time, and just because I was doing maintenance to other equipment. This pump did not needed it. It has always been silent and I have it sitting on its back on top of a flat, thin, 1/4 inch, piece of Styrofoam. I've had it sitting on the glass as well with nothing under but the vibrations transferred to the glass louder than any other pump I had. That's when I added the Styrofoam.

Have u taken it apart to see if everything is well placed?

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

By the way, awesome build. I see you're doing very good and productive research. Even used eggcrate (light diffuser) on the bottom of the glass. Very impressive research and realization of a project.

Welcome to 3reef! You're going to love it here.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

5. insanespain

No I haven't takin it apart yet. Will try that tonight. Its brand new so I would think it shouldn't have a problem. Its not vibrating against the glass, its the actual pump itself. And it can be quieted down by changing the orientation of the pump

6. insanespain

Oh and thanks for the comments. I'm trying to do this one right after the corner cutting I took on my first tank lol

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

It is vibrating on the bottom glass. All mag pumps do this. By changing the angle, you are just lessening the contact of the pump and glass. Try a pad of some kind under the pump.

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

No it is not. I can grab the hose and pull the pump off the bottom and hold it suspended in the sump touching no glass at all and it sounds exactly the same. Once I have the pump up off the glass, and THEN change the angle of the pump by tilting it to one side or the other, it quiets up. Its in the pump itself.

10. Vw65bus

Vw65bus Astrea Snail

Looking good, got anymore pics ;-)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

11. insanespain

Going to get some up this evening when I get home. Maybe a video of the bean if my cam will work

12. insanespain

Ok, I finally got around to an update. Here's where its at right now:

• Applied static cling window tint for background
    • Plumbing is basically completed
    • Mag7 Return pump is running
    • DIY rock is finally down to 8.2 PH ;D

Now here are a few pics. I moved rock from the trash can curing vat to the tank and tank is running with freshwater to leak test and tune and tweak the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few answers to some questions that may get asked :p

• The light is a cheap Odyssea 4 bulb T5 HO that I had on my 29 gallon with 2 actinics and 2 10,000k bulbs. After tank is up and running I plan on doing a DIY RapidLed Kit slightly modded.
    • The rocks are just tossed in there, that is NOT the final aquascape I have in mind.
    • I'm going to get 2 new street ells for the full siphon and open channel standpipes and try something different. I cut grooves in them on a table saw and didnt have much luck so they dont look very good.
    • I need more 1.5 inch pvc to finish the drains into the sump. All three will terminate closer to the bottom of the sump.