DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thanks for all the compliments and welcome to saltwater. I'm a fairly new freshwater veteran too.

As far as the stand, no harm done on the criticism. But this stand will be in my living room sitting on laminate wood flooring (pergo) which is free floating. I'm not worried about the weight being concentrated on 4 points in this particular situation.

As for the overflow, I found the idea by cruising forums and youtube. Here is a link to the creator's website. It is refered to around the forums as a Bean Animal overflow system.

BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Your doing your homework. Well done. Can't wait to see it running.

4. insanespain

I now have ALL of the plumbing parts I need, a brand new Mag7, and a cleaned up garage work area. So if I get nothing else done this weekend, I at least WILL get this thing plumbed up and do a freshwater test run. Hopefully I can get a video of it once its running and post it up for you guys.

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Bean Animal for the win! (Looks way better than mine, tho) And be up and running already!

6. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

Great find and thanks for the link. This thing is awesome. I might steal it for one of my freshwater tanks.

7. insanespain

I just read through your thread. Awesome 90 gallon. How did your sump workout? I have got a 20 High for my sump, but as far as layout/design, I havent even thought that far yet. I'm sure that will be a whole new thread before I'm done.

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks.
    I kind of wish I had found a 30gallon for the sump. Just couldnt justifying myself to buy a brand new retail priced tank for a sump. But for now, its working out great. Bean Animal is very quiet even for my size. Im pushing 900gph or so from the return rite now and I think its plenty.

10. insanespain

Good to know. I think that a 20 is gonna be fine for my 65 gallon DT. But I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide how to run the sump. I want to keep it super simple, and I would rather not split my drains or return. I would like the water to enter one side of the sump, flow through all the sections till it gets to the opposite side where the return pump is. Any yay or nays?

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

20 high sump is great for your setup.

This is exactly how mine is, and quite simple too.
    -First chamber: drains and a skimmer
    Make sure you pick out a skimmer first and give it enough room. Mine has 10" width.
    -Bubble trap. 1" apart.
    -Second: a fuge
    about 10", 8" high. (couldve been a bit smaller to give the third chamber more room)
    -Third: a return
    about 8" high.
    Youll need only four panes of glass. And do NOT split the drain. It will mess up the whole purpose of the Bean Animal. Youd have a hard time adjusting the flow too. All the drains should go straight to the first chamber.

Here is another Bean 90 gallon. The guy who did this is super cool too. He is a good mentor :)

12. insanespain

That 90 gallon build is a sweet thread. I did manage to get everything plumbed up this weekend and its running with freshwater in it right now. I will try to get pics up. The bean was super easy to tune and restarts flawlessly everytime, this thing rocks!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk