DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andrewgwu

andrewgwu Astrea Snail

Looking good... hope everything goes well drilling the tank

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm super anxious to get it up and running, but after my first couple SW tanks, I'm cutting NO corners on this setup.

Anyone use this silicone before? Or recommend a black silcone? Amazon.com: Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant: Home Improvement

Need to get some to build the overflow box.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That looks to be a decent and safe silicone. Stay away from silicone that has anti microbial and anti mold properties.

5. insanespain

Just ordered it. Hopefully I can get my glass cut for the overflow box this week and maybe work on it this coming wknd.

6. insanespain

Well its been awhile since an update, things have been going slow on the tank due to being busy with work. Got the over flow box completed and all of the tank drilling done. Here are some pics of how it turned out.

Just in case anyone is scared to drill a tank, I just wanna add that this was SUPER easy, and if you have ever used a cordless drill and a garden hose, then you are more than capable of drilling a tank. Just make sure you are certain its not tempered and hop on ebay, grab a diamond bit and go to town.

On to pics....

Here's the bulkheads for the returns installed in the overflow piece

[​IMG]

And test fitting before silicone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Siliconed in with black silicone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

Looks awesome! Good job on the coast to coast overflow.

8. Click Here!

9. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

wow that is nice! Let us know how that turns out.

10. insanespain

Thanks. I'm gonna hopefully get it all plumbed up in the garage and do a test run with freshwater. When I do that I'll try to take some video of it in action and do some power outages and restarts.

11. louie101086

louie101086 Plankton

wow your progress is amazing

12. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

I really like everything I see. I am new to salt, but a verteran fresh water guy. Like I said, stand looks great EXCEPT those leveler bolts. I wouldn't use them unless the tank is going to be set on a concrete slab. The reason is that the weigh will not be distributed. You're looking at about 1000 pounds sitting on 4 points that are about a sqaure inch each. Without the bolts, the weight would be evenly distributed along the entire bottom edge of the stand.

I'm new, like I said and this is my first post. I'm really not trying to be negative here, just trying to be helpful. I DO love that stand. You have some serious carpenter skills to say nothing about what some of those rock scapes look like. Good job and keep the pics coming.

Where'd you get the idea for that great overflow? That sure beats those "corner flows" that are ready made.

Steve