DIY 65 Gallon Reef Tank Build with Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

looking good cant wait to see it running

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Rock looks great, good job!

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I'm also getting ready to finish the stand. The inside of the stand will be coated in truck bed lining to protect from water, salt mist, etc.

Here's how I made it easy to level the stand, these are "elevator bolts" from the bolt bin at any hardware store. Even in my garage with HORRIBLY un-level concrete, I was able to place the stand anywhere and get it completely level in a couple quick adjustments.

[​IMG]

5. insanespain

Thanks Everyone! Hopefully it all turns out like I visioned

6. insanespain

Alright everyone, I know....I know, you're thinking oh great, another LED question.

But I've been trying to decide how many to go with on the DIY fixture, and I'm going to go with a rapidled.com kit. But I just dont really know how many I NEED or how many I WANT. Or how far they can be spaced out and still cover.

I would like to get away with this kit 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

Now, I am going to base my design off of evolved's build. It will have 2 pieces of angle iron 30 inches long as the rails. In between those rails will be the heat sinks. Either 4 - 5.9" x 5.9" or 3 - 5.9" x 9". I'm leaning towards the 4 - 5.9" long sinks, so that I will have an even number of leds per sink.

I can add 4 leds to the kit, 2 extra per driver. For a total of 28 leds, which makes for 7 leds per heat sink. If setup this way with 60 degree optics, will it be spotty?

This tank will be Softies and Limited LPS. Tank is 36x18x24.

Any opinions or suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated, its overwhelming trying to "guess" at this stuff when you have no experience with the leds like me. Maybe some of you DIY guys can chime in.

7. agv180

agv180 Astrea Snail

your rock is live?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would contact rapidled for a suggestion. They should get back to you in plenty of time to keep your build going without a slow down.

10. insanespain

The rock is not live rock now, but will be seeded with live rock and eventually come live rock.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get a couple opinions from some 3reefers who have experience with the rapid kits. I'm a little ways away from actually building the light, just trying to get an idea of how much to budget for it.

11. insanespain

Here's a couple more teaser pics. I got the painting done on the stand, and all of my rock is made and curing.

Got my diamond holesaw and half of my bulkheads. Going to try to get glass cut for the overflow this week and get the tank drilled. Anyhow, on to the pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

looks real good. Can't wait to see it finished