DIY 55 Gallon Tank Stand (step by step with photos)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SKAustin, Jan 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Great job. That stand looks strong enough to support a couple tons!

2. Click Here!

3. SKAustin

SKAustin Astrea Snail

I hope you are right. I have come to the conclusion that I will need to remove the back center vertical brace (leg) to be able to house the sump/refugium. I believe that this leg contributes little to the overall rigidity of the stand. God help me if i'm wrong.

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

No problem. (Keeping fingers crossed... :) )

5. chala

chala Plankton

I just have a ? can I paint my 30g with the fish in? Sounds like a weird ? but what the hell.
    Jennifer

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

7. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I built a similar stand and have removed the rear middle brace for a sump about 6 months ago and it is fine. I doubled up the rear upper 2X4 for extra support. I am sure I went way overboard but I dont worry about it breaking.

8. Click Here!

9. Hopeful Reefer

Hopeful Reefer Plankton

Very nice stand...I'm about to build a similar looking stand for my 75g tank...

Can you list your cut list, and approximate costs please (my accounting division is asking [the wife!] )...how many 2x4's, trim, etc. needs to be bought would be helpful and greatly appreciated...

Great job...

10. SKAustin

SKAustin Astrea Snail

The Stand itself cost just a bit over $100.00 to make. The canopy cost an additional $60.00. You may see a substantial savings on the overall cost by replacing the Birch with Pine. As for the cut list, The 2x4s are all highlighted here. Providing your 75 gallon is still 48" wide, you will only need to make adjustments to the six 5 7/8" pieces. You will also need to make modifications to the Sides and Floor (from the birch ply), but you should still be able to get all of the necessary pieces out of the single sheet of birch ply. And finally, the side trim pieces will also need to be adjusted to accomodate the depth of the stand. You may need to replace the 2 8’ Birch 1x4s with 2 10’ Birch 1x4s. Hope this was of some assistance.

2 people like this.
  11. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Wow! Very, very nice work. Also exellent job telling/showing us how. I am very impressed. And envious lol. Really man super job, you must be proud. And thanks for shareing with us in such great detail. You have inspired me to build one for my 20L. May be even give me a good excuse to spend some more time with dad, he has most of the tools. hehe

Cheers

12. LrgTime

LrgTime Astrea Snail

you win this months contest if you make this a video... awesome diy for tank stand