DiversDen Exposed!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by RedGambit, Apr 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

The tour went great. Was a bit crazy with about 50 people being there, but it was decent for the 1st time they did an open house for the public recently. Rather then just reef club members only. As for the Question asked, Here was what we could find. Time being limited and so many people there, we didn't get a chance to ask all.

1.) What are their views on LED Lighting and providing color and healthy to the home reef tank?
    A.) As for them being new, They feel that LED lighting is in the experimental phase and before they give any direct answers they are currently testing them on a few of their tanks. Some with LPS and Softies, and a few SPS.

2.) What decisions are made to as what fish are posted on the site and how they receive them?
    A.) Whatever they chose to order from their venders and have the opportunity to receive. As well as the fish meeting their standards.

3.) Why are they not having a coral conference this year like planned?
    A.) Sorry Horkn, Didn't get to ask this question. Was crazy.

4.) What chemicals and additives are used in the effective growing of coral and healthier fish and inverts? (Brands types etc...)
    A.) The use of copper in their system for all the fish based tanks. Other then that they run reactors for the the general additives and supplements for the tanks coral and inverts.

5.) What special care did you provide for the Bluestriped tamarin wrasse (Anampses femininus). for its success?
    A.) This was a fun one. I actually got to have a good discussion with Kevin Kohen, Director of Liveaquaria.com. They had received 3 of them from their vendor. They placed them in the sumps underneath the coral beds. Instead of running them through the medication system. Giving them to chance to have all kinds of little crustaceans to eat. Pods and such. After they had them acclimated through this and living for a few months. Two of them where shipped out, One to someone in Illinois and the other to California. The third one remains at the facility in Kevins office and is roughly 2 inches big. Smallest he has seen!

6.) How do you color up your LPS corals with the stages of light/temperature etc?
    A.) Nothing special was said about this other then the way they have their lighting system set up on 400w MH. That run the tracks of the tanks causing the corals to open and close for good polyp extension.

7.) What Particular care do they take in acclimating fish such as Moorish Idols/Copperband Butteflyfish/Achilles Tangs and the techniques they use? (My question, they tend to put up alot of those fish and they have horrible death rates)
    A.) Got to talk to Kevin again on this one. Basically he said it comes down to how the fish is collected in the wild. Manner of chemical use or nets etc. Also the locations of where the fish is collected comes down to how they are collected. For example: He suggests that when you get a Moorish Idol, that you receive it from Figi because they collect in the correct manner with no chemicals.

8.) (Matts) What do they have to back up their facility incase of power failure and how long will it run? (If you've ever seen Rinelander WI, It's not a big town by any means. and kinda in the middle of nowhere... or on the verge of lol)
    A.) Dear Matt, I'm sorry I forgot some of the info given to me on this question. They do have a generator (size is what I forgot). The generator is run on natural gas. They run the generators for 5-6 hours a day from the months of June-August. Generally they dont need the power from these generators and sell it back to the power company. Considering their daily bill is a whopping $130 per day.

9.) (Matts again) Are there any fish/corals/inverts that they refuse to collect and sell, and why? (assuming laws don't prohibit it)
    A.) Other then laws on collecting. They will accept anything from their vendors that they can, Unless they are collected improperly. They have actually in the passed stopped using a vendor due to how the specimens were collected.

As for pics I shall have them Up shortly with explanations of what they are!

Best part of the day, They had a raffle and my good friend Moonchaser won and Gave me the prize (since it doesnt fit her tank ;)) She won a 48" Nova Extreme T5HO 8 Bulb Fixture :D.

7 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Nice report Red Gambit - sounds like an interesting day
    and that light unit - what a great bonus

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. MoonChaser

MoonChaser Aiptasia Anemone

IT WAS AWESOME!!!! I'll add more later along with pics of my own, but I just had to say that for now

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Thanks for the info great door prize

1 person likes this.
  6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Awesome info.... Big K+

Now pics are necessary after reading all that.

2 people like this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sounds fun!!! And that light is awesome! Can't wait to see the pics! Hurry up ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I know that they will not or can not order Purple Queens. Seen just about everything else though.

Congrats on the light. That is one awesome bonus.

1 person likes this.
  10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

So glad you had a blast and Grats on the prize! That was very decent of your friend. Great report and looking forward to pics from the two of you!

1 person likes this.
  11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Nice of you to take the time to write that up!! I am looking forward to the pics!!

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cool.....congrats on the light!!!

1 person likes this.