Divers Hunt Lionfish

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by khowst, May 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Divers Hunt Invasive Lionfish and Help Protect Florida Keys Coral Reefs

Starting in May, divers will once again take to the waters of the Florida Keys in the second annual round of “lionfish derbies” hosted by Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF). The inaugural series of lionfish derbies held in 2010 resulted in the removal of more than 650 of the invaders from sanctuary waters.
    This year, more than $10,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded to the divers who bring in the most lionfish, largest lionfish, and smallest lionfish during the sanctuary/REEF series of tournaments. Teams of four may register online at www.reef.org or pick up registration forms at participating tournament venues. The $120 registration fee provides each team with a pair of puncture resistant gloves or a capture bag — important protection from lionfish spines — and two tickets to the derby banquet.
    2011 lionfish tournament dates and locations:
    May 14 — Fiesta Key Resort, Long Key, FL
    August 20 — Coconuts Restaurant, Key Largo, FL
    November 5 — Hurricane Hole Marina and Restaurant, Key West, FL

Attendees of the lionfish derbies were invited to sample the fish, which is a mild, delicious white fish. NOAA has developed an "Eat Lionfish" campaign that brings together fishing communities, wholesalers, and chefs in an effort to broaden U.S. consumers' awareness of this delicious invader.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I try to kill as many as I can every time I dive my local reef. Also it seems some restauraunts are starting to come on board adding them to the menu. I have to say the meat is delicious and kind of tastes like grouper.8)

4. JNuckolls

JNuckolls Astrea Snail

I don't know if I am 100% okay with them just killing them for the heck of it, but I am glad that most that are killed are ending up being useful. I have not had a chance to try lionfish as a meal. I am also glad to see that my LFS has started selling more lionfish that were caught in the Bahamas than caught/raised in other places. One place at least trying to lessen the issue.

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I agree that needless killing should be avoided - but these are an invasive species with no natural predator and a voracious appetite for locals - they are a scourge on the reefs of Central/Northern America!

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I've seen them in places they shouldn't be. I've heard of wrecks once abundant in a variety species now totally covered in lionfish. They must be eradicated!

Use a small shaft without a flange or a pole spear. Take as many as you can home to eat, and kill and release as many as you can afterwards. And don't feel bad about it...

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I totally agree