Disintergrating Xenia

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by phoenixhieghts, Nov 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i don't think cutting away parts would help

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

1 person likes this.
  4. paradise32258

paradise32258 Plankton

i had a colony about 15 stalks melt away in about 5 days that was around 4monthes ago and its growing back ..xenia is strange

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I love Xenia, but it doesn't love me. I think I finally figured out why mine did not thrive in my tank......phosphates. My phosphates not been controlled until recently. Your's seem to be on the high side. I try to keep mine at or below 0.03. Zero would be optimal. I would blame your melting xenia on PO4. The only fish I know of that likes to snack on Xenia is the humbug damsel. Others leave it alone.

6. gobywankenobi

gobywankenobi Plankton

what about PH? xenia is sensitive to PH changes. don't have much luck with xenia either, but just a thought.

7. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Its not sensitive to pH change. It was one of my first corals and i had no idea what the hell i was doing then....i had it in a 29 for 6 months or so.

its doing great now...i did use to target feed it...which was pointless probably lol

but its about twice the size now

I do add iodine on a regular bais...but honestly in his case, it looked like something has been chewing on it ...doesnt look like natural decay because why would it just happen to one stem

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

My PH fluctated a lot before I got a fuge... they were definately not affected. They're pretty hardy, and they will grow back. Usually they do that when they're damaged.

10. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey!
    Just my 2 cents: In fact, Xenia sp. is very sensitive to iodine level oscillations. You mentioned you were running carbon 24/7 ?! If yes, well... You iodine level is probably almost zero! Why ?! Well, activated carbon has got ultra high affinity for iodine. Moreover, the amount of iodine that different activated carbon types can adsorb is the measure of their filtering capabilities and is even specified if you buy carbon filters for laboratory grade RO units. The more the better!! This is why very many aquarists truly discourage usage of carbon in reef on the daily basis.

Could you do the iodine test ?!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I dont have an iodine test, maybe i'll get one. The Xenia has stopped "dinintergrating" now and appears to be recovering.
    My LFS has told me in the past that carbon abosorbs iodine and i should dose it.
    Im just lazy sometimes.

12. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Good news! If I were you, I would simply remove carbon, and keep it for emergencies! Good luck!