Discus Question...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by greebs, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

Well I decided for my 55 gallon that I want a planted freshwater tank. I know I want discus and some tetras. How many discus do you guys think should be in a 55 gallon? I don't want to crowd them, but I also don't want them to be in too little of a school. I was thinking 4 or 6. Then along with that I was thinking 8 to 10 cardinal tetras. 4 black phantom tetras. 2 emerald green cory cats. 1 Otocinclus sucker cat.

So... How many discus? And does this sound like a good plan or not?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Sounds like a good plan to me. I've been thinking about doing a planted discus tank also. I think four would be fine in a 55 with some tetras.

4. Sean_Clownfish

Sean_Clownfish Astrea Snail

Are you getting young ones? If you are its best to have them alone in a bare bottom tank until they get to 4" as before this they stunt so easily. They need large daily water changes when young. Also I would only have 4 discus in a 55 gallon alone, none of the other smaller fish and no more discus. Im just thinking of adult discus.

just MO

5. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I had a planted discus tank and had 4 discus in it, a school of 15 neons and a couple fuzzy nose plecos.

It didnt seem crowded but also didnt seem bare.

6. Sean_Clownfish

Szrazzt - Sounds cool. What size tank were they in?

7. szrazzt

They were in the normal 55 gallon. They didnt really require much special care other than water changes frequently.

8. Click Here!

9. szrazzt

They were slightly stunted but had some fantastic colors.

10. Sean_Clownfish

Yeah 55 gallon is a good size and Aslong as you keep up on w/c and have a decent filter, you can add smaller fish, but I always find its better to wait until they are past 4". Then you can add what you want.