Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

How can you compare the keeping of a fish that could be from the other side of the planet to raising kids?After all we were all kids at one time and I would think we would have a better understanding of what that entails.Not sure why this suggestion is being so hotly debated if it saves one fish then the cause is worth it IMO.He's not trying to save the world and I think its great that he is trying to do something he feels is worthwhile. If we all had this attitude that there are always other things that could be advocated for that are much more important no one would be helping anyone with anything.There are so many things in this world that need to be changed it will take all of us doing our part.Whether it be hunger,cancer,global warming, or teenage pregnancy you have to start somewhere. One person can't do it all. At least he is doing something constructive. How can you frown upon someone helping to give a creature of this planet the ultimate gift? Its life.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Do you not have kids? If you do, your wife was the primary caretaker.

And I'm not frowning... don't make me out to be an animal hater ::) . I just don't see the point or the benefit or getting all worked up over this.

4. Kingumar

Kingumar Astrea Snail

No one would complain if there was a video of a diver messing around/playing with a puffer fish out in the ocean. But as soon as its done in a reef tank, NO WAY!
    -.-
    I like the show!

5. Thales

Thales Plankton

This is the main worry that aquarium authors have expressed. It almost doesn't matter what the reality is behind the scenes, but the perception that the show gives is what people see and what groups can use to go after us yet again.

I also don't think that it matters what happens with other reality shows - we care about this one and how it effects us.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yup :)

7. Thales

Thales Plankton

I don't believe that is true, unless the point of inflating the puffer was for an educational segment (and even then people would and have complained IIRC).

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Groups can go after us? What have these groups ever done to us? Drama much?

I still don't get how this is actually affecting us...

10. Thales

Thales Plankton

San Francisco Considers Banning Tropical Fish | AquaNerd
    The Dark Hobby? A New Call to Ban "Aquarium Hunters" | Coral Magazine

This kind of thing has been coming up more often in the last decade. There are movements to ban all wild MO imports the same way the importation of some birds and reptiles have been banned. Our hobby is very visible and it is easy for people to point to it and say 'they are raping the reefs, they are killing animals, they are hurting the environment' and regardless of the reality, that perception is getting easier and easier to sell. Its about perception and the worry about Tanked is that it is/might be giving a perception that can be used as more fuel on the fires of restricting the hobby.

1 person likes this.
  11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I could see this being scary, but I also remember about 12 years ago when there were petitions going around about how Petco uses improper handling of animals in their warehouses, but I don't remember anything coming about with that. Aquariums have been around for years, and most hospitals/doctors office's use them to help keep patients/family members calm in a time of stress.

There are always critics out there about everything, it is just how you respond to them that makes the difference.

12. Thales

Thales Plankton

These aren't petitions, these are proposed laws, which is way more worrisome and part of the reason they have not yet been voted into law has been because of reactions from people involved in Marine Ornamentals (although the Vincent bill did pass, but was never actually enforced). If we aren't proactive like we have been, we could find that our selection of animals available for home tanks much diminished.

Not to say that I am not for legislation regarding the hobby, but I am not for bad legislation regarding the hobby.