Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thales

Thales Plankton

As I pointed out in an RB piece, there is one major difference between those shows and Tanked - live animals. It seems to me that once live animals are involved the responsibility level changes.

2. Click Here!

3. Thales

Thales Plankton

I don't think any of this has much at all to do with that the ATM guys actually do or think in reality. The issues that people have revolve around the perception that is generated on the show, and its that perception that most of us have reservations about.

ATM doesn't seem to do any of the ongoing maintenance on the tanks - their gig is building and setting up the tanks initially. If the tanks crash after that, its not their problem or issue.

I also think that a tank crashing is an often accepted part of this business, many people think dead animals in new tank is expected and normal and part of the process, and that the animals are looked at like they are cut flowers - cheap and replaceable. Part of my worry is that the show as cut reenforces these ideas.

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I haven't seen it yet, does anyone know if they stream it on Netflix, Hulu or some other on demand channel?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'll ad this one to the list. Thank you.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Say Wha? The children in John and Kate plus 8 were less important? The babies from the teen mom thingy carried less responsibility than a fish show? Seriously?

7. Thales

Thales Plankton

Nope - this is what I was responding to:
    Edit: Hey you wrote that! :D

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Brett Raymer will be at MACNA this year. I hope I get the chance to ask him a few questions and voice my likes and dislikes to the man directly. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I'm just sayin' that i don't want more people in the hobby if they don't care for the animals.

11. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

nothing wrong with getting "involved" with THIS issue. i like a good margarita but it won't make me forget that if we are going to pluck these animals from the ocean, we are responsible for their well being.

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I don't think you have been paying attention to what others have been saying. The people on this forum aren't worried about picking up bad habits from the show, it's the uninformed not changing the channels that is the concern.....Just because something makes money, doesn't make it right. Heck, a prostitute gets paid.