Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

I agree 100% this show is meant #1 to make the network money #2 to help get more people interested in fish it, if you dont like it guess what.....
    CHANGE THE STATION:idea::trampolin:yelrotflm:trampolin:idea:

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't think that is about taking offense to the show, but wanting the show to be more informative about what it takes to take care of a aquarium. The show is slowly getting the information out there. I did like how they mentioned that the church hired a full time marine biologist to take care of the huge saltwater tank and focusing on the QT and what it use was for. I truly believe that these guys are being restrained by the producers.

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

did you read what I had posted previously one of the owners of atm, "is hoping to push more for education in the future of the show. Asked me for all sorts of ideas on what to do with it, etc." and that is coming from ATM

5. Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman Plankton

Good to see some grass roots work being done here, Mike.

After I wrote my initial review on Reefbuilders, I wrote a respectful letter expressing my concerns to Nancy Glass Productions, who produces the show for Animal Planet. My suggestion was to at the very least, include a 5 second or so graphic at the start of the show or other appropriate time, advising inexperienced or aspiring fish keepers to seek the advice of professionals or experienced hobbyists... or at the very least, do significant research before attempting to set up an aquarium. I think this would be at least as "educational" as the "trivia" questions that the show puts up before some commercial breaks.

I agree, we need to do more than just "complain". In my latest piece on Reef Builders, I touch on my thoughts on the "Responsibility of Being a Reefer". This outlines my concerns and thoughts on this issue. Perhaps it will at least inspire some others to understand what I feel is the responsibility that we all have to address these issues.

I hope that the majority of criticisms are directed at the show's producers and network in a constructive manner. We're not out to bash individuals. However, if Brett or Wayde want to take a personal interest in some hobbyist /industry professional's concerns over this topic, it would be great if they let the producers know that they may have a growing PR issue within the aquarium hobby community.

We as hobbyists DO have a voice, and we can feel proud that we are trying to speak it. We are not trying to "create the show that we want" or torment individuals- we are only asking them to understand the special responsibility that comes with the territory. They may not have asked for a role as "educators" or "spokesmen"- but this is what you get when you are in the public eye talking about these things. Let's hope they can send a positive message to the general public by urging the show's producers to show their work in a more responsible fashion.

Scott

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It's a reality show.... not an educational show.

What life lessons have y'all learned from the Bachelorette, Chopped or LA Ink lately? Same genre. They are all scripted.

1 person likes this.
  7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I did read what you wrote, that is why I pointed out a few things.

8. Click Here!

9. rkemp

rkemp Astrea Snail

The discussion about tanked continues to show up on the forums as if we will be able to change next weeks episode. Remind your selves that the the shows are filmed in advanced, then chopped, diced, blended, cut, minced and put back together by people who make a living finding the most enticing (mostly dramatic) parts. Many of the episodes were filmed months ago.

I cannot believe that these guys have no respect for the live stock they put in the tanks. All aquarist stress about the live stock in our personal tanks but luckily for most of us our pay checks don't depend on it. These guys have to make these tanks work because the food on their families tables depend on it. If their tanks crashed days after setting them up I would think their clients would have run them out of town by now. Many of these clients are very rich and powerful and don't accept failures well and have lawyer to crush those that don't deliver.

I agree that they should go into a little more detail about the complexity of the hobby but we wont see that this season and shouldn't expect it(its too late the shows have been taped and cant be changed now). Lets hope for a second season that might include some of the suggestions that people in the hobby have proposed.

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Thank you Scott!!!!!

Since the discussion on this began, I have not agreed with the show, but knew that the show was there for ratings. I've played devils advocate in an attempt to better understand how we were going to effect change and got no results other than personal attacks on my own reefing abilities.

My response to your article was my last attempt at getting a well argued discussion started that could keep the topic at hand and a resolution in sight instead of bringing emotions into it.

Thank you for the obviously thoughtful response even though you had to come to my new topic location.

I completely agree that it is most likely the way the show was cut, not the individuals involved, that is portraying setting up a tank as being too easy. They are obviously very experienced with some hefty tricks up their sleeves. We do, as hobbyists that require extensive knowledge, have a powerful voice. Their are many of us that without trying, or a degree, can sound extremely educated in marine biology, and if used properly, our voice can bring about change. They key is to bring the information to them instead of continually posting our complaints within our community.

ATM knows their stuff I'm sure, but it's the producers that we need to get through to. We have to look at them as being completely uneducated in our views, and we must start from scratch. This means small suggestions like yours to add some detail prior to commercial breaks is a good place to start.

I guess the entire gist of my argument from the start of this is, they didn't shoot this for us, and will not even realize our view exists unless we bring it to them. Until we get our words conveniently in their laps, they will only shoot to get ratings form the general public. From what I've seen of the show, they're doing a great job. It's quite entertaining!

11. Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman Plankton

Mike, I appreciate your very well thought out comments. Even though the show is not targeted at us, the manner in which the show portrays the hobby/industry directly affects us.

These 6 episodes have already been taped. I imagine the producers could easily do minor modifications like inserting the aforementioned graphic. However, it would not surprise me if this show gets picked up for more episodes, and it would be a shame if those of us who are concerned didn't make our opinions known to those responsible for the production of the show before shooting. It may start with us discussing our concerns internally, but the concerns and suggestions need to work their way up to the producers and network people, who can take some of our suggestions for positive change and incorporate them in future episodes. I implore anyone who has concerns to direct them outward to the producers of the show and the network.

However, I don't think the producers of "Tanked" were responsible for the inclusion of the obligate cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) in the guitar aquarium that was presented by Brett Raymer and Wayde King on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Last I heard, there is currently no captive breeding of this species and simply removing it from the reef is a questionable practice at best, as removing fishes that perform cleaning services from the reef can have significant impact on the health of the local fishes, and therefore the reef itself. To include it in an aquarium where it it will most likely have extreme difficulty obtaining it's required diet seems irresponsible at best. Simply showing this fish drives home the need to examine the messages that we as a hobby and industry send to the uninformed audience.

12. Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman Plankton

For all those who wish to send a note to the producers of "Tanked", suggesting how the show could be improved, here is a link to Nancy Glass Productions:

Nancy Glass Productions | Contact Us!