Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Hey Sally,

The simple answer: Tanked has put the proverbial lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Our beloved hobby isn't accurately portrayed on Tanked. It's embarrassing.

2. Click Here!

3. ZepQuarium

ZepQuarium Spaghetti Worm

Avid Motorcyclist here.

The Show 'American Choppers' didn't make motorcyclists look intelligent, well mannered, or respectful. But it got Ratings, and it also got more people into the Hobby...

Just Sayin...

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is what I have been trying to say this whole time on all of these different threads.

Let me ask you this though, did the people that got into the hobby just jump in, or did they do research to know about the different types of bikes and how a larger motor makes the bike run different?

5. fishboyt

fishboyt Bristle Worm

Did they say something negative on the show about us? I don't watch it so I don't know.

6. playful

playful Astrea Snail

Just wanted to chime in and say I actually like the show. It's not really about coral and fish it's about building aquariums and I think it's really fun watching some of thier ideas unfold. Ok, ok, so one cast member was fondling the fish and amusing himself -I did'nt really see the harm. I am just glad to see any show related to the hobby within good taste. If you've watched all the episodes, they clearly care and appreciate the animals just as anyone else in the hobby. Maybe they are alittle careless, or haphazard, but hey they are human. So yeah, I like the show. :)

7. SalinFL

SalinFL Plankton

hhmm… I'm agreeing with you Zep.

It's Hollywood… well Las Vegas which is the same thing in my book when it comes to glitz and over the top living, and that is what they are promoting. Sons of Guns uses same premise and I'm sure there are others.

It may not be the representation of our hobby that several of you approve of, but I know I wouldn't be interested in it myself if some pencil-necked geek was hosting it. It's created for the sole purpose of entertainment… And in truth, you have to give them props for their awesome imagination. I'd personally like to see all the trial and error that goes on in between concept and completion… but that probably wouldn't sell most people either unless they were already involved in the hobby.

In all honesty, because of the few clips I watched, it made me want to investigate having a custom tank built instead of going with a standard off-the-shelf configuration.

8. Click Here!

9. ZepQuarium

ZepQuarium Spaghetti Worm

Some Stayed in the Hobby, Some Left...

Some had Good experiences, Some had Bad.

Lets Face It, the only show we'd be satisfied with is nothing short of a David Attenborough Masterpiece...

The average Television viewer is nowhere near that Intelligent...

____________ "Wheres Tha Explosions?!?" _______________

This show will appeal to the 'Average Television Viewer'...

Of which, I do not consider myself one...

However...

The More Awareness the Better...

Just Sayin...

;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  10. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Here Here!

Back in one of the first posts here for the show I argued that the show actually wasn't bad. I fully agree that if you didn't like the show and want a change, you should offer suggestions as to exactly what you would change.

11. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

hey guys I jut wanted to chime in as I have recently watched an episode of tanked, I live in vegas and have actually been to atm its a pretty impresive set up they have there.
    I belong to vegasreefers.com and they have a thread going on tanked as well and one of the members there had this to say, "I actually talked to the guy at ATM when I was there the other day...he said he is hoping to push more for education in the future of the show. Asked me for all sorts of ideas on what to do with it, etc." In short they know that the show needs more info on the hobby side of things and are asking other hobbist what they would like to see added into the show. However with that being said they only have so much control with the directors of the show. I have a family friend who was on a reality game show and the directors cutted and edited every clip so much, they were literally able to twist his words around and make him sound like the bad guy.

just my .02

1 person likes this.
  12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Does it really matter what this show betrays?

There are so many things to take offense to in this world and a whole mess of other issues to get involved in.

Y'all need to kick back with a margarita (or a xanax) if these are the things that keep you up at night.

I mean no disrespect, but think about it.....