Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thales

Thales Plankton

Temperate and tropical sharks in the same tank, too many large fish in a phone booth, the perception that onset up is the way to do it, pulling inflated puffers our of the water for fun.

2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Here's a bit of a different take...

I think if it was more educational it'd be a lot more concerning. Their current format of calling everything "life support" keeps it very vague. If they started talking about installing skimmers and all the other neat-o gadgets that everyone has it'd create an environment where folks knew just enough to be dangerous. As it is, if someone were to go into an LFS and say "I want a life support system, a tank and 45 fish!" they'd at least have to be talked through what a life support system is composed of. Likewise, I don't think you can go to BRS or any of the other vendors and order a life support system for an aquarium (apart from the AIO kits).

Having said all that, some portions of the show make my stomach turn a bit but I do enjoy watching it. I would like to see a disclaimer similar to Mythbusters as recommended. But if they were REALLY smart they'd put another blurb at the end that directed folks to a site that would lay out what it takes to get a tank stood up in their own house with links on what to buy and how to use it and how long to cycle and all the other minutiae that no one wants to see on TV.

4. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

BTW, anyone know what their ratings look like?

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

As if those writing laws would know that is a problem.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I did a quick google, and while i couldnt find the show's listings I did find the top 25 and its being beat out by Sponge Bob Square Pants as Tanked didnt even make the list. So I guess we should be more scared of people going to the LFS to by sponges, plankton and squirrel scuba gear.

2 people like this.
  7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I'm gonna say it here...who recommends multiple flame angels in a reef aquarium?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

What does reef aquarium and this show have to do with each other. Remember we are reef guys they are fish guys.

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

They had a reef build tonight.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yes they feng shui reef build. And it was kind of an amazing tank...I would have some things differently though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I know people are still gonna complain because some people just can never be pleased, but I think last nights episode was the best one yet. Notice they did glance over what a refugium is, and some very short coral placement & care and some of the other basics that people have been bawling for since day 1.

Flame angles in one tank? Dude have you realized they are working on a bigger scale than our 30-100 gallon tanks? That tank was what 1,000 gallons? pretty sure more than one flame will be ok.