Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

While everyone jumps up and down and pounds thier heads on the wall on how to change this show for the greater aquarium good I still want to ask the same question I have asked in the other thread:

We have aolt of LFS employees and owners on this board. Has any of these people had someone come into thier store yet to buy "some cool fish off that show tanked"? Has anyone not already into this hobby talked about the show while in a LFS and someone has heard it?

Everyone has been going cheetah flips over how all the noobs are gonna kill oceans of fish. When the show initially was being advertised yeah I thought the same thing. Time has progressed now and I'm sorry when it comes to the impacts of this show I just havent seen it yet.

As far as profiling the livestock or equipment, the name of the show is Tanked, not Fished, or Skimmed or Bio-balled.

Compare a show like some people envision to another hobby related show. Let say a hunting show or a fishing show for exmaple. I do both of those as well. Ever watched a hunting or fishing show where they profile the deer and guns or equipment? Ever watched a fish competition show? Those shows are so boring even thier own commercials change the channel.

I am sorry but a sw show about plain glass cube tanks that have nice profiles of damsels & tangs being cared for with X brand skimmers would be so boring even PBS would cancel it.

2. Click Here!

3. Thales

Thales Plankton

Many strawmen in that post.

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I can't say no to that. I've actually agreed with both sides of the fence from the start, but played devils advocate to see where the conversation would go. After watching so much outrage over this from my fellow hobbyists, I decided I wanted to start something and see just what our community could do.

Of course as soon as I do that I bump in to all the people from the side lol.

No matter how you go at it, it's been a fun topic lately.

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

cirrect on my intent.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

....and neither is this show. It shows how easy it is for a group of professionals to do it. Have you ever seen ABC's Home Makeover? they practiacally build a house in a week. Who expects that when they go to remodel their home? No one, unless they are a moron. If anyone looks at this show and comes out thinking they have the knowledge to set up a tank, they are a moron! Morons are everywhere and you can't build a show to protect from stupid. This whole thread is irking me because many of you all seem to think those watching the show are using this show as knowledge on how to get in the hobby. I simply don't feel people as a whole are that dumb!

7. Thales

Thales Plankton

There are a lot of 'morons' out there, and there are reports of regular people diving into remodels based on what they saw on TV (IIRC the particular show that generated this is no longer on the air). People are indeed that 'dumb' - if they see it on TV it must be true and everyone is susceptible to those kinds of misunderstandings. People still buy ionic bracelets and think they can get rock hard abs by taking pills.

However, it is not my position that the issue with Tanked is knowledge on how to get into the hobby for people who watch it (that may actually be one of the good things about the show), rather that the show could easily get used to generate bad legislation for the hobby. Anyway, thats all covered in the RB piece.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Those that are that dumb are the vast minority of viewers. This is why I said that you don't plan for stupid!

What part of the show could be used for that purpose?

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Ever heard of the show, "DIY Disasters: Caught on Tape" ? There's the other extreme for you. They are idiots, and they made a reality show out of them.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

What would be the difference between people watching the shoe thinking they now know how to set up a saltwater aquarium or going to an lfs or a franchise pet store and getting the horrible advice that 95% seem to give?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The show is based around the tanks themselves, not the process of setting up a tank. I bet most of you loved pimp my ride. However, everything was impractical and the owner's insurance went through the roof after they worked on the vehicle. The show did not show this part, but it was still there.

Also, the producers are who decides what airs not ATM.

If you don't like or agree with the show, don't watch it or make your own and go bankrupt.