Discovery Channel's "Tanked" *LETS DO SOMETHING*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by mikejrice, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've grown really sick and tired of watching every big columnist in the hobby take their turn to bash on the show "Tanked" without offering us any opinion of how we should bring about the changes they say the show needs. Since it's come out, I've been arguing this point against these writers, and the articles just keep on coming. I do not see a compromise being met between what needs to be seen and what people want to see, so I would like to put up one option of action. It is most likely not the best or the one that will get things changed, but we have to start somewhere.We can start by visiting Animal Planet's Facebook page at:

Animal Planet - Wall | Facebook

Post a tastefully worded complaint there that simply lets them know that the aquarium community does not appreciate being portrayed in this manner.

You can also send them a message here:

http://adsales.discovery.com/contact/

For all those who wish to send a note to the producers of "Tanked", suggesting how the show could be improved, here is a link to Nancy Glass Productions:

Nancy Glass Productions | Contact Us!

There are tons of other things we can do, but we either have to stop complaining or do something. If the animal activists see only complainting in response from us, that will only make the show help their cause more.

I'll get it started. Here's my post:

As an aquarium hobbyist I would like to inform you that our community does not appreciate the way your show "Tanked" portrays us. We would like to discuss some changes with you at your earliest convenience. Please feel free to contact any one of us that comes forward to request the same as we are a very tight knit community that will get your word to those most apt to discuss it with you. Thank you.

I'd rather not get into arguing the specifics of why or why not the show is wrong on this thread. I would simply like to rally all who think it needs a change.

Lets get something started with 3Reef. Who's with me?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Though your intentions are well placed, there are at least 115 comments on the post about their show tonight. Who is going to read all of those post just to find one or two post from us. We can set there and "blow up" the post with comments, but who is to say that they will even read what we have to say. There has to be a better way.

4. mikejrice

It has to start somehow. When there are a few hundred individual comment threads on their page burrying other people they may notice.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I think using this link might be a better option, or you could use your own facebook page to spread the word out about how you feel about the show. Just remember that how you word your statements could have a negative impact on how the hobby is portrayed. I personally don't want to look like someone who is just out there to bash on a tv show because the producers only want to air what they like.

I think the better option would be to just continue to give the best advice that we can and hope that people find great forums like this one before they jump in head first. We all know that LFS's don't give out the best advice either, but what are we doing about that?

6. mikejrice

Come on people! Are we really a community that's content to sit back and complain while doing nothing? I've seen so many countless people talk about how the show should be different, and now that something is suggested to at least begin moving in the right direction, the community falls silent.

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Mike,

I respect that you are trying to change the show in a mature and constructive manner. But I doubt Animal Planet is concerned with how Tanked makes aquarium hobbyists look. Just because we are offended doesn't mean the producers are.

I think most people have the common sense to realize Tanked is cast by a bunch of reality knuckleheads. The show makes THOSE guys look bad, it doesn't make US look bad.

Unfortunately, taking the high road doesn't always win the argument. However, if you want them to take you seriously, you gotta change your slant. Maybe pitch something that demonstrates the beauty and sense of achievement in managing a home aquarium instead of the current pimp-my-tank approach.

My $0.02, keep up the good fight.

Ames

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

Now we're talking! Message sent there too.

10. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i think some one needs to write a formal letter then we all need to some how sign it or just say we agree with what was said send it to discovery channel how ever we can. it might not be a bad idea to say how this show is in the wrong or doing bad things if we can do it nice and in a mature manner. after all we are all here for the fish :)

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I agree with WhiskyTango, but I am on board with you as well Mike. I just want you get be let down is all. TV shows are all about ratings, and this show could bring some life to the hobby. Hopefully people realize that there is more to taking care of an aquarium other just setting it up and putting fish in it. Obviously the producers are not going to show all the boring stuff that goes into the hobby.

I sent a message to discovery channel, so we will see what they have to say. Even if we could get them to put in some kind of disclaimer at the end of the show or something would be an accomplishment.

12. mikejrice

lol I'm banging my head against the wall here! This has been the argument I put forward to the complaints being posted on blogs since it aired. If only you could have been there to back me up. I just want the community to rise up and fight for what the general consensus is.