disaster struck....nem got skimmed

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Swisswiss, Apr 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

:(!!!!!

woke up this morning to a milky water...didnt take long before i noticed the large green nem you guys know about stuck in my skimmer system.

immediately got to work to do a large 100 l water change.....however i wasnt fast enough.....i think due to lack of oxygen i lost my 6 liner and my 2 mandarins....my cleaner wrasse was looking horrid as well so i quickly pointed all my powerheads towards the surface to create maximum surface water movement and that seemed to have helped.

my green chrmois isnt looking glorious either but shes hanging in there...
    my other larger fish seem to be only mildly bothered by what happened (thank God)

the nem is literally shredded to almost nothing...wont be making a come back.

cleaned the skimmer and changed the mechanical filter

i also installed a carbon reactor with hope to remove any further nastyness..

anything else i can do?

real crap way to start the day

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

sorry to here that I can't think of anything else you can do

4. Swisswiss

I'm going to test my water again (just tested yesterday) but do you think the death of my wish caused by lack of oxygen, toxin release form the shredded tissue or could it be ammonia already? This happened between 23:30 and 07:00 am this morning

5. Swisswiss

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Damn! So sorry to hear about that.

Sounds like you've pretty much got it under control.

I could be wrong, but my first guess is ammonia. Not much to a nem; I would think they would break down rather quickly. It's well known (whatever the cause) that they can trash a tank pretty fast.

7. Swisswiss

I'm so bummed for my mandarins you have no idea

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Should I do another 100 l water change tomorrow or you folks think if I go back to my 20 weekly I should be clear....

Guess it depends on my water parameters, ill test as soon as I get the chance

10. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yes just keep checking up on your parameters and do water changes accordingly and you will get through this disaster. I'm really sorry about your two mandarins I'm sure it was a lot of work to raise them to what they were.
    Good Luck friend on take your tank back up to what it was. :D

11. Swisswiss

thx for the support everyone...well according to red sea my Nh4 is at zero ppm so that a weight off my back. water is still kinda cloudy and my green chromis is a little lethargic near the sand bed.

my clowns, toby, c. beauty, singapore, regal tang and cbb seem to swim around thinking "wt*!?! happened" but other than that seem more or less normal. hopefully things will stabilize in a few hours so i can give them at least one feeding. my cleaner wrasse his hiding in some rock work but is still alive... cross your fingers for me folks!!!

12. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

*crosses fingers*