Dinoflagellates

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Newreef15, Oct 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

that is when I used the aqua-vitro line 8.4 (actual product) name. That seemed to keep mine up. Your other levels are right on, so you shouldnt have any problems getting that up a tad

eight.fourâ„¢ by aquavitro

2. Click Here!

3. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for the link. I will read up on it and see if it would work for me. Thanks again!!!!

Ivy

4. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

Be careful!! Some PH buffers raise Alkalinity.. They also only raise PH of a short period of time while your alk keeps raising. Try to get fresh air into your house or where the tank is.. That helps get your PH up a little..

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

My skimmers inlet air is ran through a Del Zone Ozone generator . O3 breaks down the TDS in the water top allow for faster removal and makes the water crystal clear . Research Aquarium Ozone use Been using 03 since 1970 and never a problem it was given a bad rap about 15 yrs ago when the U/V hit the market But I see now where the experts are writing and raving about the benefits of 03 again . Just read a article by Fenner or Toonen or someone like that last week telly the new guys its great stuff LOL
    I can look the author up but I care little as to who they where ..
    Only reason I read it was I saw 0zone in the aquarium :)

6. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks guys. I will definitely check out ozone and its benefits. Does it require any specific equipment other than an ozonizer and monitor/controller?

The problem I am running into is that my Ph is around 8.2 without the lights on. My alkalinity is already high and I am not sure how to get it to 8.4. Ph seems to play a role in getting rid of these things, but I am not sure how to get there. Thanks!!!

7. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I've never had dinos like this, but does increasing the flow in your DT help?? Kind of like getting rid of cyno??

I would recommend using GFO too. That stuff works great at reducing phosphates which are probably causing the dinos..

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That usually makes it worse. (Good flow when you don't have dinos helps prevent them but adding flow after you got them doesn't work)

Yes, most definitely. Once you start killing them with raised pH, lack of light, etc., that is going to liberate a lot of phosphates. You want to get these out of there or the dino's will just grab them and start growing again once the lights are back on.

10. A4_Andre

A4_Andre Astrea Snail

i recently had this problem last week as some of you know. it covered probably 85% of the exposed surface, not including the glass. the majority is gone except for very little which im slowly removing with a turkey baster type tool from Kent that i use to feed my corals.

except for the PH which i left at 8.2, I pretty much followed what was previously mentioned and turned off all the lights for 4 days straight and didnt let any light in the room. I threw in a phosphate reactor from 2 little fishies, used their phosban, and since i dont have a refugium, i threw some chaeto directly in the tank. i also used only RO/DI water and threw in this stuff called algone and was using purpleup to promote coralline algae. throughout all this, i made sure i cleaned out my 2 AquaC remora skimmers multiple times a day to be sure the water was staying as clean as possible.

on the forth day, the rock was pretty much clean, but there were some clumps on the sand which i filtered out with a fish net.

i slowly turned on the lights today with just a 54w actinic and there was not 1 bubble from the dinos that used to be. all the corals and my teardrop maxima are doing great. i have no SPS, but have zoas, palys, a blasto, brain, hammer, trumpet, pulsating xenia, and various mushrooms.