Dimming LED's

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by iceman, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Meaning the ELN60-24D's right? I'll need three of them, one per module.

Email/Call who and ask them about what? :p

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

4. thedude

thedude Plankton

It's probably better to choose which controller you are going to use first then buy correct drivers.

Basically there 2 methods of dimming the meanwell drivers. The letter designation at the of the driver part number designates how either P or D.
    On the D drivers.. They are dimmed by fluctuation of voltage between 1-10 volts. Most controllers use this method. Apex, reef keeper ect.
    On the P drivers... (pwm) they are provided a constant 10 volts from the controller. The controller tells the driver to dim the lights by generating a high or low frequency.
    You had mentioned the typhoon from boost, you could use this alone with the correct eln-60-xxP to dim the strips. As it generates Pwm.

5. Ashevillian

Thedude if I am reading this correct the Meanwell's that I require are optional and can perform both ways? That's what it is looking like

So in theory any controller would work for this right?

6. thedude

thedude Plankton

No, the driver will not support both. You have to choose the correct driver for the controller you intend on using. If you just want to dim the lights on the cheap, go with the typhoon and the P drivers.

7. Ashevillian

Why not the driver says OPTIONAL:

"http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp.../ELN-60-24.pdf

DIMMING CONTROL (OPTIONAL)
    1 ~ 10VDC or PWM signal : 100Hz ~ 3KHz
    Optional dimming function : 1~10VDC(D type) or PWM controlled(P type)"

The typhon is only a LED controller, would still need to plug into an actual controller i believe, i'm prob going to get the typhon and reefkeeper lite off of a friend for a good deal if i can get the driver needed for them

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Okay i feel silly now, i understand what you're saying where I need to choose between the PWM or D drivers, well it appears the Panorama's run off the D-driver

So I need to find controllers to run 3 Meanwell ELN 60-24D

10. Overboard II

Overboard II Plankton

Ashvillian , you say your getting the typhon and reefkeeper lite they both control led drivers. With the typhon you will control only leds but you still need a driver, they will handle up to four channels and you can hook up multiple drivers per channel.
    With the reefkeeper lite you do the same but will also need a module to hook up the drivers to. They also controll other things as fans temp salt etc. more money.

11. Ashevillian

+1 Overboard! Thanks, but I'm still wondering if the Typhon(since it's a light controller) and the Reefkeeper (requires a light controller module) Will the two connect?

I read somewhere the Typhon is PWM where as the drivers I need are D signal, and even if I could get this to work, would the Typhon connect into the Reefkeeper as the light controller module?

Also I think the Reefkeeper uses the D model so again this is where I'm confused

12. thedude

thedude Plankton

The leds themselves dont care if you use (d) or (p) drivers, output is the same. the diffrence is how they are dimmed.

Overboard is right is on the money here,

(p)'s~will work with the typhoon alone. (this contoller will only control the leds)

(d)'s ~will work with the reefkeeper. but, you will need the advanced lighting control module (ALC). You can do much more more with this controller, as Overboard said.