Dimmable Metal Halide Ballasts?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by SeaGirl, Apr 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the info SeaGirl!
    I don't know the answer to the ACLS. Jason might know if you PM him. Otherwise, I guess you have to send another email! :)
    Keep us posted.

2. Click Here!

3. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

Just sent an e-mail to Aquarium Obsessed and PM'd Jason--I'll be sure to let you guys know once I hear something!;D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

;DWell, I've got some exciting news!! I just got an e-mail from Aquarium Obsessed and they told me I could use the ACLS with my light fixture; I'd just need a special adapter to hook my wires into that costs $39.99, and I don't need any special bulbs. I'm getting really excited now!! Jason also told me that GHL might be coming out with a dimmable ballast--I do have the Profilux controller so that's always another option. I'll give everything some thought while I start stashing away the cash!!

5. mastergunsg

mastergunsg Plankton

35% dimmer feature is a safe amount to run MH bulbs at. the following is a quote By Craig DiLouie

"Dimming below 50%: When HID lamps are dimmed below 50% of rated power, they may experience degradation in service life, efficacy, color and lumen maintenance, or they may extinguish. Dimming below 50% of rated power, in fact, may reduce high pressure sodium and metal halide lamp life by 90%. As a result, dimming below 50% may void lamp warranties.

NEMA recommends that the maximum recommended dimming level is 50% rated lamp wattage for both metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps. NEMA further recommends that the lamps should be operated at full power for at least 15 minutes prior to dimming (unless the lamp is extinguished from a voltage interruption and the input voltage activates the timer, in which case 30 minutes is recommended before dimming.)"

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting info. I wonder if that covers HQI bulbs too?