Dietary needs of baby sun coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Dingo, Jun 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Following along with this one.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Ahh yeah those nudis are super cool... Too bad they were too expensive :-/
    It's actually kinda funny that I knew you had them because I found some totally random nudibranch directory site well over a year ago. I recognized and remembered it was you who contributed a picture and details about them!

Verry random I know hahaha

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is pretty sweet. :) You named your "sun coral-eating nudis"? lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yeah. Bill Rudman (Sea Slug Forum) has pictures of both Frick and Frack.

To help you regarding the original post, when I would get tubastrea in, they were often very ill. Tissue recession was common and many polyps wouldn't open up for numerous days.

At the shop, I had a large acrylic box that had slots in it to allow some degree of waterflow. It was basically an overgrown internal "critter keeper" that could be used for longer term because it allowed waterflow. There was about 5 dendros, a walking dendro, and several colonies of tubastrea and they were all dieing. I put them into this critter keeper to lower the flow for them in the midst of this large coral system that had higher flow. I left a turkey baster next to it and any time I walked by, I just squirted the detritus off the floor of the box. I saved all of them. In fact, I made them fat.

Here's something to consider. Use a hammer and a flathead screwdriver and chip off a little piece of LR under each polyp. Superglue them onto some rubble or frag disks. My acrylic critter keeper can be replicated with a hole punch and a butter tub. Put that puppy in your sump up at the top of the water level and hold it there with magnets (or similar). They won't eat all of the food at once so just stir it up a couple of times a day with a turkey baster squirt. My mix included mysis, brine, a little phyto, and a little Oyster-Feast. Sometimes I added a little TLF ZoPlan. Sometimes a little Coral Frenzy. Once they get a little bigger, they can graduate from their nursery to the DT. (Just a thought. There's really no right or wrong in this hobby. It's just like science. You make a hypothesis, you try it. If you determine it's not working, you try something else).

1 person likes this.
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They're cute. Wouldn't you? LOL

BTW, if you think these are cool looking. Check out the ones (these weren't mine) that eat octopus coral (black sun coral). The Sea Slug Forum - Phestilla melanobrachia As you can see, once they eat 100% of the black tissue so the now dead coral is dead white, their camouflage is no longer that valuable. LOL

7. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

lmao so true

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

They are cute. :) The black ones...don't looks so pretty. They kind of look like a "cat-tail" when it gets wet - gross. lol. I think they must also be their own worst enemies(camouflage)! :D

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Great plan... I already have a container that I keep dendros and scolys in so I can feed them. I will try and chip these little guys off and add them to my "annoying corals that have special needs" container lol

Btw those black ones are pretty sweet!

11. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Interesting color and name. =)

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I like hermits, they just don't mix with sun corals IME. I had about a dozen years ago and got a sun coral. As soon as I fed it, wherever they were, they would instantly form a big line towards it to get the food. I tried cutting the top off a two litter bottle to put over it when feeding it, but it was a PITA to do, and some hermits would still sneak in from under the sand. Then I tried taking it out every time I fed it, but that also got old and it would tend to close up. I couldn't catch all the hermits, so I instead traded the sun coral...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk