Die Aiptasia! Die!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ugh. Pulling all the rocks out is not fun. Glad you got them though. Keep me posted on the vinegar. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

You Got it Matt I'll keep you posted.... ;) :)
    .............. John

4. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Ok, I've heard of Joe's Juice, white vinegar, shrimp, copper-band butterfly fish, to get rid of these vermin, but never super glue. :eek: Why super glue?

phil

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

From what I can guess is that the super glue hardens on them and they can't feed so they will eventfully starve to death. Also if you fill the hole they are in with glue they can't come out to feed. ( Just My thoughts ) ;)

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Love the babnner fletch!

Hate the aiptasia!

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I'm a bit irritated with the guy that moved and set up my tank. I didn't know too much about salt water when I bought the existing tank. I vaguely remembered something about the aptasia. On one of the rocks was one of the ugly brown things with wirey looking tentacles. The tank guy said that it had been on that rock for a long time (he knew the previous owner) and it had never bothered anything and he preferred to leave it alone. Since he was the expert I didn't argue with him. I still only have the one thank goodness. I bought JOe's Juice but had read that I could kill some of the surrounding corals as well if the juice gets on them. Plus its going to be hard to get to. Anyway I haven't done anything.
    If I ever get around to changing out my sandbed I'll make the tank guy get rid of it.

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Can you pull the rock out that it's on and put it in a bucket with some water to apply the juice? FWIW, in my little tank some Joe's Juice that got in the water irated some of my corals, but just in the short term.

Best to get it now before it thinks about reproducing. Once it does, you will have a big problem.

10. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I have used Joe's Juice in my tank. I have a Candy Cane that was just covered with little tiny aptasia. I used the Joe's Juice and it worked fairly well. The Candy Cane is looking better than ever, no harm done to it at all. I think I'll give the remaining aptasia another shot!

11. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

hi all

i have a suggestion that may seem a little on the wild side. A friend of mine has had a sw system going mow for a couple of years,and he has a very interesting way of getting rid of the little critters. He pulls the rock out of the water and as long as there aren't to any corels near......

he frys them with a torch, yes a torch but i must say quite effective. The area is burned black and white but the little buggers are gone

Peter

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Ice link=board=Inverts;num=1076874560;start=30#38 date=07/20/04 at 21:02:55]He pulls the rock out of the water and as long as there aren't to any corels near......
    he frys them with a torch, yes a torch but i must say quite effective. The area is burned black and white but the little buggers are gone
    Peter[/quote]

Wow!! [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=laugh3.gif] [smiley=laugh5.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif]

And I thought I was extreme using pliers!
    hahahahaa