Did I waste my $ on this rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by lmajor32, Jun 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

I was inspired by another membner when they posted there pics of their liverock and asked the question "is this any good?" Can you guys tell me if I wasted my money on this rock or if it was good for $3 a pound at LFS. There is actually one polip? not sre if it is but it opens and closes a little on one of the rocks. Looks like a little bulb with a hole at the end that opens. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

That is not terrible. At $3 lb it is would I would expect. After a few days passes take a look at the tank at night (a red lens flashlight works best) if you do not see any creatures crawling around on it you may want to go get a few more lbs of more expensive live rock that is full of life in order to help seed this rock further.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Looks pretty good to me...rock is not getting any cheeper nowadays...but $3 isnt that bad for what you got :)

5. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

I just went to clean my prefilter and whjen I pulled it out I saw things crawling around!!! Surprised the heck out of me. It looked like little shrimp. I was able to get one back into the tank (was about the size of a grain of rice or a little smaller. But not able to get the others before I had to clean it. I guess there are some thiungs in the rock. I am still going to try and buy some better quality rock for the top. I have about 48lbs so far, and I am thinking about another 30-40 lbs of better quality rock. I have only had this rock for about a week and a half. Thanks for input

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Nice rocks. I like the little bumps on them. I think when I bought mine, they claim it was fiji and was full of coraline algae. You got a good deal compare to my LFSs...they charge $7 a lb.

7. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Sounds like things are working perfectly to me. Get ready for the fun algae cycles :)

8. Click Here!

9. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

Is there anything that I can get to clean the sand that my huge puffer will not eat? My wife will not let me get rid of him because I gavew him to her for her bday and we have had him over a year. He is almost like one of our dogs!

10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would say a sand sifting sea star but only on a very large tank.
    Maybe a Sleeper goby if you do not need to worry about it throughing sand all over coral if you plan on keeping coral.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would strongly suggest that you get some Nassarius and bumble bee snails and possibly a queen or fighting conch. They are good sand sifters and will eat food that has settled on the bottom of your tank...
    However, Puffers and Triggers have strong jaws and may eat them as well as Sea Stars and Urchins.

12. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Good call on the conch. I have had mine for 2 yrs now and it still amazes me that not only is it alive but amazing to watch. Probably one of the most prehistoric looking reef inhabitants.