did i overdose???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ray, Dec 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ray

ray Plankton

:confused: sunday afternoon had added half a cap of purple up, and 8 drops of iodine of kent, the last time i added was 3weeks pryer too... and had shut down my sump and moved the debrise from pumps and placed a bio sponge to seperate, had let settle for an hour before turning back on, 4hours after turning pump back on noticed my polyps closing and soft coral closing and
    letting out strings of white debrise from, 6 hours went by and my mushrooms closed and started doing the same, i noticed a number of star fish coming from the rocks anywhere from the size of a dime to the size of a silver dollar that ive never seen before... the next day had came home from work
    and checked out to see what happen my banded serpant star dead, all those stars were laying around and the soft coral were skeletons and i never did anything different from there on as i did before, but my green star polyps are still pumping good w/ no problems? crabs and snails good, had performed a 50% water change the night of the 19th, and this morning the 20th my cleaner shrimp was dead... tests were good NITRITE 0 PH 8.2 CALCIUM 450
    NITRATE .1 AMMONIA 0 PHOSPHATE WAS .1 AFTER STERD WAS .5
    AFTER WATER CHANGE .1... help me out its a 55 gallon w/ 60lbs of sand, 60lbs of rock fludized bed filter in sump, live rock and sand layer in sump, cpr backpack skimmer on tank, tank has been set up for 2 years, fish wise only 8 little green chromis and a diamond goby...

2. Click Here!

3. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sad

Sorry to here of your troubles. Wish I could be of some help but I do not use stuff like purple up for this very reason and I don’t use Kent Iodine. Just wanted to commiserate with you and remind you to watch your parameters very closely for a while, you will likely see major spikes due to the die-off. Probably need to do water changes to keep what you have. Again, sorry to here of your troubles and best wishes.:(

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Ray,
    Sorry to hear about what is going on. I wouldn't dose any iodine products without having a test kit for it. High Iodine or iodide levels can become lethal in a marine aquarium. Do another water change, let the system stabilize and make sure you remove any dead animals or corals so they don't give you an ammonia spike.
    Jim

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you do water changes every 2 weeks or 3 you dont NEED to dose anything. The water changes will take care of your trace elements. If you want to dose iodine do what the others said and test. I personally dont test for iodine but I dose very lightly. If I do its only like 2 drops of Lugals every 2 to 3 weeks.

Jay

6. ray

ray Plankton

yes i do water changes every week about 15 gallons of ro water, then i check my perimeters... the kent says 8 drops every day for 50 gallons but i thought that was way to much for every day, so i would do 4 to 8 every 3 weeks, but i guess i f###ed my self after i just ordered coral from petsolutions 3 weeks ago, and the only thing left is the christmas tree coral... mushrooms are there but there spewing out this white stringy stuff...
    doing 15 gallons again today, i just changed 25 gallons all perimeters are good...
    the yellow polyps are closed, trying to open my other polyps are open but fringe around them look burnt or cinged, i wont be using that purple up anymore but i cant knock it that stuff really colored the tank in red and purple crust. been using since it went on the market, i appreciate all the help and if theres anymore info anybody can give will be great just does not make any sense ive been using for about a year and this the first... to watch within 6 hours of time that all just died like that... im mad but u know and i know reef is hard and needs good commin sense and alot of reading before mastering but it makes a wonderful addition too the house, calms the nerves and a hard day at work gets left at the door when u sit and enjoy a beautiful reef tank...

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Not if you run carbon constantly and running active skimming, no?