Diatoms? Yes, I messed up

Discussion in 'Algae' started by scajeo, Feb 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Finally got the explosion under control. Hooking up a 5/8" hose to a baster and running that into a sock really did the trick. There's a few spots left but WOW what a difference. Excellent suggestion md.

I'm glad I didn't buy a huge CUC or any chems and listened to all y'alls suggestions.

Thank you...... Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I would def get some CUC - just dont go crazy. I keep a decent amount of them. Also an algae blenny.

4. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I'm thinking I need to add just a little more to my CUC. Maybe a couple of scarlet hermits and a blenny wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

On another note. The mixing station is fantastic. My only issue is trying to figure out an easier way than getting my fat butt up the ladder to add salt every time. I also don't believe that dumping 21g - 25g a week into my septic system can be good for it. From here on out I'm going to run a hose out a window and out into the woods until this summer where I can bury some piping from the maintenance room and deep into the great outdoors.

Right now however I'm very pleased with what I have.

5. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Yeah I hear you on the septic. My RO wast goes outside, my Salt water goes down the drain - but run a hose out the driveway to storm drain in the spring - fall when I do my WC. I have been told the salt water is ok for the septic - but I dont know.

6. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Really?!?! I would of thought it'd kill all the bacteria inside the septic tanks. WOW.

Why do you run your RO waste outside? I would of thought that it'd be fine for the septic tanks.

: diatoms