Diatoms or Dino?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Servillius, Dec 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Diatom blooms occur in the presence of elevated silicate levels. Have you added new equipment, rock or substrate? I have never seen furry diatoms but I have seen brown cyanobacteria.

4. Servillius

I have not added anything new recently. Note, it isn't very clear from the picture, but the brown film is living mainly on dying green hair algae. That is what makes it look furry. My concern however is the brown layer growing on it. It has been persistent for months. As the GHA dies, the brown seems to get worse.

My concern is that when I turn off the pumps, the stringy filaments become little clouds of brown. My snails seem listless. I aggressively stripped silicates for a few weeks with little effect. On the other hand, no bubbles to speak of.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I guess the next alternatives might be a complete black out and or trying some products with GFO if you have not.
    Remove as much manually as you can. Have you measured phosphates?

6. Servillius

Phosphates at 0. My nutrient issues have, I believe, been solved as evidenced by the ongoing reduction in hair algae.

My biggest concern with a blackout is my maxima clam. I don't want to move it and a potential infestation to another tank, but I'm not sure how long it will survive without light. Any ideas?