Diatom Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by CBSurfrider, Sep 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paul.brandon83

paul.brandon83 Plankton

Those rocks are awesome!! send me some of that coraline :)

2. Click Here!

3. mach1ray

mach1ray Plankton

OK guys I have my tank setup since February and still have this issue. Rocks are covered as well as most of the sand. It is easy to blow off the rocks with a turkey baster. My fish have been dying as I try to clean the rocks and sand. Does anyone else think it is taking too long to cycle? I am frustrated to the point of considering breaking down the tank. Lost 6 fish thus far.

For the last month I have done 3 water changes. Before then it was 2x per month. Can my ro/di system be part to blame?

4. mach1ray

mach1ray Plankton

Bump. I need help here guys.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you cycled your tank back in Feb you should not be experiencing a diatom bloom. Dinoflagellates can look like diatoms, it's brown as well, but stringy with the development of air bubbles along the strand. Some Dino types are also toxic to fish.

So we need.

1. image to confirm ID of pest/problem
    2. Nitrated and phosphate levels
    3. Water source

To better assist you in following feed back to your post you should start your own thread.

Hope that helps, once we figure out specifically what you have it will help to trouble shoot the issue. :)