diagnosis - cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by oldfishkeeper, Jan 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've been struggling with yuckiness that I've determined or am pretty sure it's cyano. It's brownish in color with some red filaments. I just kept assuming it was hair algae but after looking more closely, I think it's cyano. I have high nitrates (sailfert between 25-50) and obviously phosphates since I do have algae as well. So, I've been reading and reading and I've decided I'm going to treat the tank with chemiclean. Does anyone have any advice from using this product? I want my tank to look good again!

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Can we see a pic first?

4. oldfishkeeper

it's yucky - I'll take one now.

5. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

If it comes off easily and you see air bubbles on top of it, it's cyano.

I would try to get your nutrients down before trying something like chemiclean. You need to address the root issue or its just going to come back.

If you do end up using it, follow the directions to a T. It reduces the amount of oxygen in your water so consider adding an air stone or 2 and increase your surface agitation.

Good luck!

SkyFire and Corailline like this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

I did throw in a couple of my maxi minis :) I really stink at photography too. DSCN3371.JPG DSCN3372.JPG DSCN3372.JPG DSCN3371.JPG

Attached Files:

Corailline likes this.
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Agree.

AnotherMike likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Also are you still running the bio-pellets?

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

It doesn't look bad. I wouldn't use chemicals. I would increase water changes and increase flow.

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. oldfishkeeper

I know, but I think I need to treat it at this point and I know what I need to do.....I feed very heavy. My thought is there's so much of it. You can see how it looks like it's interspersed with hair algae, that's what I've kept thinking it is but normal methods of algae removal don't work like they do on hair algae - or at least on this stuff. I also know I need more flow - and I need to improve my husbandry. So, I will try my best to be good following the treatment.

12. oldfishkeeper

you really can't tell by the pictures - it's because of its color in the picture. It's really unsightly and everywhere. I'm hesitant to use a chemical as well. No, I haven't run bio-pellets on this newer tank. It just seems to be the best way to go at this point. It doesn't go away, and it doesn't really blow away when you direct flow onto it...that's why I kept thinking it was some form of hair algae but I can see reddish tint in the "strings" that are all over too.