DI/RO unit on Ebay

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by skennelly, Feb 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I want the $30k system myself :)

1 ppm ...thats crazy.... I can't imagine testing water from Jax Beach (Jacksonville, Fl) ..

it'd probably be a gazillion ppm!!!!

:)

my tap water talks back to me, and is rude!!!! :(

Scoffer

2. Click Here!

3. Plan2Build

Plan2Build Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That's hilarious! ;D What confuses me though is this pure water market and the prices they charge. The Dowser brand name water I tested was far worse the Skennelly's tap water, and is not that much better than my tap water....where does the justification come in to charge the prices they do?!? >:(

Tommorrow I am going to test some Poland Spring and see what that has in it. I can see it now....a bunch of underpaid laborers holding up collection drums to large taps pumping "spring" water....the definition must mean that it is collected in the spring time and has nothing to do with purity.

P2B

4. Plan2Build

Plan2Build Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

All,

I have performed additional testing this morning. I flushed my tap water for several minutes and then collected a sample; purged the reserve tank on the RO/DI unit and allowed it to refill, then ran the flow for 1 minute and collected a sample; and also retested the Dowser brand spring water and tested Poland Spring as a comparison. The results:

1) My tap water TDS increased from yesterday to 474 ppm. It is not unusual to expect different water quality on different days.

2) The RO/DI unit the Skennelly started this thread with produced water at 32 ppm. This is excellent for this system and well worth the cost on eBay.

3) A re-test of the Dowser brand water gave identical results from yesterday at 261 ppm. I shows good experimental control as well.

4) A test of Poland Spring brand water yielded a TDS reading of 64 ppm, a 4-fold increase in quality from the Dowser brand.

All told, I am very pleased with the RO/DI unit discussed on this thread and would recommend it for the price. We can log any problems over time on 3Reef and can make future recommendation based on quality over time and longevity of the unit.

As for the bottled pure water, I think further testing may be warranted to test quality from a statistically relevant sampling of bottles to fully assess the quality differences. Perhaps another thread on another site.......

P2B

5. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

P2B,
    Thanks again for the input. Your testing is very helpful and I hope alot of 3reefers get a chance to read this thread and check out the results of not only the ro unit, but also the bottled water, because I'm sure there are people out there that believe bottled water is good for thier tank. It might not be bad, but for the price it isn't good.

Karma to ya.

Sean

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just to add to the bottled water readings:

Calistoga - 50ppm.

[quote author=Plan2Build link=board=General;num=1108496701;start=30#32 date=03/09/05 at 09:59:17]1) My tap water TDS increased from yesterday to 474 ppm.  It is not unusual to expect different water quality on different days.
    [/quote]

Wow! :eek:

7. steve414

steve414 Astrea Snail

slow water

I just got the same one off ebay the dvoneb and my water comes out very slow

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmm, I missed some of this thread before...

I don't think you can really compare bottled spring water to ro/di water. Spring water means just that, from a spring...not pure water. You would need to test water that says it is ro water or ozonated water. I think Dasani is RO water with magnesium and something else mineral , added back for flavor... I wonder how that tests?

Any current updates availabe now these several months later?;D

10. gogregerson

gogregerson Plankton

I'm looking into getting one of these too.

11. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

Just want to point out that that unit on Ebay is 61.99 plus 37.50 shipping. So its more like a 99 dollar unit. So how does it stack up to units like the Typhoon which is 130 (plus like 10 shipping?) And I need to use this through my sink because i live in an apartment. Anyone tried using it like that?

12. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I got one and it is very nice unit. I got the 110. about the same. With shipping cost around $100. I have used it from start and this is the first tank I have had that hasn't had algae blooms and the corals are growing like crazy. A friend of mine got a different unit Watersomething-can't remember exactly-paid more, and has been having trouble with it.
    I recommend the Devoneb units. I did change out my DI resins for color changing shortly after though. My LRS charges them for $15 each.
    It was the best investment for my reef I have made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]