DI/RO unit on Ebay

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by skennelly, Feb 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Okay I have everything hooked up and I had already ran the RO unit for 20 gallons so it is ready to go. Hooked up the TDS meter and got the following.

Chicagoland tap water - 115 ppm TDS
    From RO unit - 0 ppm TDS

So far I'm happy.

Sean

2. Click Here!

3. Plan2Build

Plan2Build Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sean,

115 PPM is not too bad for tap water....I am anxious to test New Jersey water.....

P2B

4. skennelly

Yeah Chicagoland is supposed to have one of the best quality sources of water tap water in the country. That big pond next to us is a good source.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

pond ?? you have a pond??

hehe J/K

Scoffer

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=skennelly link=board=General;num=1108496701;start=15#20 date=03/01/05 at 10:05:55]Okay I have everything hooked up and I had already ran the RO unit for 20 gallons so it is ready to go.  Hooked up the TDS meter and got the following.

Chicagoland tap water - 115 ppm TDS
    From RO unit - 0 ppm TDS

So far I'm happy.

Sean[/quote]

Good deal. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. skennelly

I love it when a plan comes together.

8. Click Here!

9. Plan2Build

All,

My unit arrived several days ago and like Sean, I have it up and running. I purged the volume for a total of about 7-10 gallons. I also collected some initial lab data, but will re-test to confirm the results.

My observations:

1) The unit can only output about 2 gallons of pure water per hour, although I have not fully measured this :p. The 100 GPD rating is for the input water. Since the unit has a restrictor valve to control the RO membrane flow, total flow is reduced 60%. This is somewhat confirmed by my output to the reserve tank.

2) Using an analytical grade TDS/Conductivity meter in my lab, my tap water (Northern NJ) gives a reading of 469 ppm :-X. A confirmatory test was performed using a dry weight oven and an analytical scale. The residue yielded 364 ppm. So the tap is at about the 410ppm range.

3) The water from the DI/RO unit off ebay produced water at 42 ppm using the analytical TDS meter. Not bad for $70. This number should ultimately come lower since I used a non-sterile collection container, and did not fully flush my system prior to sampling.

4) As a comparison, I analyzed Dowser spring water from a brand new bottle. The supposedly pure, sodium-free water yielded a TDS value of 261 ppm. [glow=green,2,300]:([/glow]

5) I also analyzed the water from our labs analytical grade water system ($30K) and got a TDS value from that of 1 ppm. :)

I will re-sample my system after an appropriate flushing of the system and will utilize clean sterile collection bottles so that I can get an accurate assessment of the water quality from this unit.

All-in-all, I am quite pleased with the unit for the price. I will re-post my findings either tommorrow or next week after a vacation.

P2B

10. skennelly

Very Interesting.....Keep me posted. I wonder if the TDS meter I purchased is a POS or what. I have reading of 0 ppm output from my tap water, then again my tap water before RO was only 115 ppm that could be a factor there.

Sean

11. Plan2Build

Sean,

It is quite possible that you are getting excellent water quality. Without a control, it is hard to know. Why not try testing some Dowser spring water and see what you get.

Again, I did not fully flush my system, and did not use appropriate sampling containers. I am hoping to get to less that 10 or 20 ppm). If my quality remains at 40ppm, I think that is still excellent and quite satifactory for an aquarium.

If you are still unsure, I can test a sample for you to confirm, although there is the variability associated with the shipping and stability of the sample. It is worth a shot!

Gregor

12. skennelly

Gregor,
    Thanks, I have a friend who works for the Illinois EPA and he could take a sample and test it for me if I wish. But I doubt I will take it that far. Like you said for aquarium use its fine and that's all I really care about. But its definitely interesting to hear how it compares to a $30k system.

Sean