DI all the time?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1077095208;start=0#8 date=03/20/04 at 13:59:45]can u use the DI went the resin is done.[/quote]

When resin is done... or spent then it will no value and will stop filtering your water. This is why we use a TDS meter to do spot checks of the produced water.

Nugio,
    I just just changed the DI and the sed and 2 charcoal filters. I must have read the TDS meter wrong the other day but today I had a reading of 9. [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=oops.gif]
    Any way decided to clean the 45 gallon container so I trashed the water stored in it and guess what I found at the bottom. The tip of the glass heater, wow wonder how long that was like that. I have 2 heaters in there so the temp was always good. Someone was looking out for me.
    [smiley=angel.gif]
    [smiley=party-smiley-004.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Or maybe it was 3reef Karma? [smiley=thinking2.gif]

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what does TDS stand for.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Total dissolved solids Its what you cant see in your water like metals chlorine ect...

Lucky :eek: Was the heater in your topoff or make up water? Cause i dont heat my topoff.So it helps with the tank temp

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077095208;start=0#13 date=03/21/04 at 12:23:35]
    Lucky  :eek:  Was the heater in your topoff or make up water? Cause i dont heat my topoff.So it helps with the tank temp[/quote]

No this was in the 45 gallon rubber maid tub / trashcan.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Walters talking....
    [quote author=the_h2o_guru link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=15#16 date=04/22/04 at 17:12:35] Hi
    If you are lloking at buying an R.O. D.I. please take a moment to read this . You do not want a 100 gpd membrnane .
    The rejection of the 100 gpd FilmTec membrane is only 90 -92 %
    If your water is 300 p.p.m. your R.O. will make water that is between 24 - 40 p.p.m. tds
    If you use any of trhe FilmTec membranes smaller than the 100 the rejection goes up . The smaller membranes reject upto 98 % .
    SO on the same water your R.O. will make 9-12 p.p.m. tds water .

Why is this important ? D.I. life .The more tds the water has the shorter the D.I. life .
    From this example you can see that the D.I on a 100 gpd system will only last 1/3 to 1/2 as long .
    Or you operating cost will be triple to double of what it could be .
    There is one vendor out there saying the a 100 gpd membrane will last 25 - 30 % longer than a 75 gpd .
    Way stupid, by this reasioning a 6,000 gallon membrane would last forever . All membranes last about the same lenght of time . Foiuling not size determine the life of the membrane .

The H2O Guru Walter
    Walter[/quote]