Detailed users guide for taking GREAT macro images

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by maxalmon, Jan 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

There is some misinformation in this thread. There's more than one way to skin a cat... or in this case, take macro shots. I handhold all of my macro shots. Tripods can be a pain to use, or just simply impossible at times. There are some general rules that dictate which method you use.

The primary issue is light. If you don't have enough light, you'll have to increase the ISO (light sensitivity), shorten the shutter time or open up the aperture (smaller numbers mean more open).

This is where some of the information provided early in the thread comes into play. If you have a slow shutter speed, you will likely need a tripod to prevent camera shake. The 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens I use is good for steady hands up to ~1/100th of a second, which is rather slow (potentially slower if you support your hands on something).

However, you can also boost light. I prefer to use a flash unit on the camera, with a light diffuser and a "bounce card" (that is built in) to provide diffuse light into the tank. This eliminates a great deal of issues presented earlier, though it does add some to the cost of the photography.

The following shot is hand held, ISO100, f/11, 1/4000th shutter and 580EXII set at +0 EV.
    [​IMG]

It's important to note, several other issues still apply, like reflections off the glass or glass angle distortion... but the camera issues "go away" with more available light.

An advantage to a flash unit:
    I can freeze my clownfish that never stop swimming any time I want.
    [​IMG]

No moving a tripod, no struggling to stop motion blur. 1/4000th shutter freezes them instantly.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Good advice, but to me your skinning a different cat.

Pics with the flash on are easy, but I personally don't like the effect they have on the look of the tank.

To get nice realistic shots, I find it more personally pleasing to use the tripod method and no flash.

4. jimmy_beaner

still don't "need" a tripod... just crank up the ISO

and what's "wrong" with the pics I posted?
    Perhaps this would be more "representative"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  5. Renee@LionfishLair

Pics with an ISO greater than 400 are very noisey.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your pics. I personally don't like the look of a flash. In some instances it is necessary, but I try to work my way to where I don't have to use one. My 50mm 1.4 helped made a HUGE difference when taking low light pics at the LFS. No tripod needed, no huge amount of light and an ISO of more than 300. I try to roll with 100 if I can. That produces crisp shots at full size.

I've taken shots with the 100mm handheld, proper positioning and proper beathing helps with this. But alot of people aren't well versed and it doesn't come easily to them.

But to me, cranking up the ISO will never produce the quality I'm looking for.

6. jimmy_beaner

I am also a stickler for quality, but some times... a tripod or low shutter just isn't practical.
    ISO3200, 1/200th shutter and f/4, hand held. (with a "crappy" 28-135 lens, not my 100mm L Macro)
    [​IMG]

While I realize there are some noise issues, for the casual observer, they won't notice it. I am much harder on my pictures than others. I am asking what you don't like about my pictures I posted. Tack sharp (photobucket reduced clarity) and colors are good, rather representative of how they look in the tank. Your original comment was how flash "creates" a "bad image". I'm just wondering what about my image is "bad".

7. Renee@LionfishLair

It doesn't render true color. It can give a fish a weird glowing effect.

Your pics look sharp at that size, I like my pics to look sharp at it's on my 27" screen. I'm sorry, but your anemone looks soft on a full screen I'm sure that is even more noticeable.

but you are putting words in my mouth. I never said your pictures were bad or wrong. I do not like the effect a flash has on the appearance of the tank and many of the fish. It's the flash, not you.

8. Click Here!

9. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sticky.

Hahaha, looks like i am about half a year too late.

10. jimmy_beaner

and I'm asking what effect my pictures have that you don't like. The blastos appear just as they are in the tank.

As to the clarity issue, of course the anemone is "soft" with ISO3200, the point is the picture is usable. If I were going for a "published" picture, I would use a tripod.

On to the clarity issue for the blasto...
    [​IMG]
    This is equivalent to the whole picture being 12" wide (I'm not sure if this forum compressed it further, but you can quote it and follow the link if you wish to see full size).

Here it is at 2 feet wide (larger than your 27" screen).
    [​IMG]
    Still rather sharp for a hand held aquarium shot.

And 100%, 4 foot wide "blown up" shot.
    [​IMG]

This would be 4'x3', I have a 32" monitor and can be a stickler for shots.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Sorry, I will have to end the discussion here as I feel this will just go back and forth and mud up this wonderful thread.

12. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

Great thread! Especially the part about shooting at eye level. I am a terrible photographer and this thread has really helped. I'll post pictures of my tank and livestock using what I learned here and hopefully I'll get better results. Cheers!