Desperate measures!!! Fed UP !!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Crabby Jim, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Crabby Jim where do you keep the Calcium DKH and magnesium levels running at in this system ?

2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I had manually removed a bit of the algae before taking the pictures that is why it looks patchy in some areas.
    I checked my phosphates today with a $30 test kit for phosphates The Instant Ocean brand and I am not sure how to read the results.

4. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Tangster I just checked calcium today and for some reason it came out high like 480 I do not know if I messed up the test or what I just bought it today and it was my first time with that test kit I am going to run another test tonight. as for the other thing you mentioned I am not sure what that is at.

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Tangster Here it is :

I am using a Salifert Calcium test kit and the number is at 480
    My Phosphates are at 0.6 ppm per liter with my Instant Ocean Kit ( not sure if that is good or bad)
    and my KH is at around 180 ppm (with my test strips)

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I figured the DKH is way way low hence the type alges you have .. Water is a little acidic from low Carbonates and the Magnesium is needed to keep the ions of Carbonates and the Calcium happy and playing will with each other as one is Positively charged the other is Negatively charged and they are like opposite ends of a magnet.. They just do not want to bond and stay in solution with one another . Hence the Magnesium/ Epsom Salts its like putting the magnest in the correct polarity and plop they stick like glue to one another.. You Calcium has gotten above the Alk and the water is acidic.

You get the DKH up to 13 average the Calcium to a steady 450 to 500 and Magnesium to 1400ppm I think you will get your problem solved what type algae eaters do you have in there as far as snails go and how many ? Yours is not Maidens Hair from the looks of theses pictures . Madiens Hair looks like shaving brush algae almost A urchin maybe will help your problem. Or a couple hundred snails :)

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

KH should be nearer to 500 to 600 What size tank is it ? I did not read your tank info..O.K took a look its a 20 Gal. Put about a 1/4 cup of Epsom salts in the water also before trying to get the KH up.. And watch the ca fall off. thats why you need to bring them up evenly.

8. Click Here!

9. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have for algae control :
    (1) Algae Blenny
    Many blue leg ,scarlet and electric blue hermits at least 30 total
    (2) Sea Hares
    Snails of many different breeds Turbo , Zebra , Narcissius, and others I don't know the names.
    None of these guys are doing anything so far Maybe I'll try an urchin

10. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

The main tank is a 120 gal the sump is 20 gal

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Your K.H is way way way Low.. I replied to you also.. Your tank is very acidic when I saw the photo I could see that tinge of off yellow :) But the hardness has to come up what do you use to buffer the water ? Simple Bicarbonates ? like Arm and Hammer ? Thats will cause this simple problem it happens all the time .. But you have to get the magnesium levels up also..

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

The question is what kind of urchin will eat this crap? ::)