Desperate measures!!! Fed UP !!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Crabby Jim, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Wishing you all the luck in the world... And a little extra dose of patience..... Smile, it could always be worse...

2. Click Here!

3. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hey man dont give up, I was just there like 2 weeks ago, ready to pull my freekin hair out, but let me tell you what worked me, first get some phos buster, if phosphates are high, even if they are not they may be being used up by the algae before you can detect them in a test kit. Dose as directed, get out all the rocks that you can fairly easily, and give em a good scubbing up, to remove the bulk of the gha. And finally add some mexican turbos, they are great, this is what I did and it worked for me, my tank is SO much clearer than before. Hope this helps. and please dont let your stuff die, not only is that mean, think of all that money too.

4. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Why is everyone getting so excited ? I am not quitting I am just taking steps to get rid of my algae problem by cutting back on the things that are feeding it . Am I really harming anything by leaving my lighting off for a week No. I mean fish don't care if the lights are on or not. My corals are not opening up but I am sure they have been through worse. Am I really going to hurt anything by not feeding for a week probably not . My Nitrates are zero my Nitrites are at zero My ph is at 8.4 My Salt is at .1025 My calcium is at 420 The tank is at 77 degrees now and everything should be ok I am just tring to see if a lack of light and feed will start to see a decline in algae I am not tring to kill the tank! I have put a lot of effort in to this so far and have no plans to give up now even though the algae is bothering me it is not that big of an issue really. my fish and corals are all healthy .

5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

mine drove me nuts
    LOL

6. matt s

matt s Flamingo Tongue

Might have been this comment?:-/

7. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

good luck man, try not to kill anything, heck ill look after your stuff if you want;D

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your corals and fish should be fine w/o light and food for a week. We've gone much longer without lights in an attempt to kill the bryopsis that has infested our tank and we're going to try going without lights again starting today. If that doesn't work, we may very well be tearing the tank down and starting over. Most of our corals have been choked out by the bryopsis and the ones that remain will have to die as well as we won't sell or give them to anybody because we won't pass this plague on to anyone else. Could you post a picture of the algae that's giving you trouble? Hopefully it's not bryopsis because if it is, it's almost impossible to beat.

I completely understand your frustration and have often felt the way that you do. I'd rather sacrifice a few corals than tear down a 180 gallon full of rock to sterilize and start over.

10. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Thank you for understanding I am going to get some pictures and post them and hopefully get to the bottom of this I am also purchasing an RO system to see if that will help me

11. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Here are some pictures of the tank and algae I have had the lights off for 4 days so my corals are not all opened up I did notice that the algae has started to brown in a few spots I do not know if that is from the lack of light but I hope so here are the pics

Attached Files: