Desperate For Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by YellowBelly, Jul 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It's hard to tell without a close up but it looks like bryopsis to me. If you raise the mag with Kent's and it starts dieing you will know. Worth a try. Can you take a close up shot of it?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Acropora do not really look bad at all, some time and nutrients, they will color up, I bet the algae is taking up all the phos and nitrates available.

If it were me I would think about buying new rock and doing something a little different. You can take the rock out and use Phosfree or you can use Muriatic Acid.

Billme likes this.
  4. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Phos Free is what I am using for the lanthanum chloride, it works well. I really don't want to buy new rock but I may have to :(

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I've got the same thing starting all over my rocks too. I'll be raising the pH to see if that helps. In theory, less co2 in the water should be less nutrient for algae. Do you have a refugium? You could grow macro to compete with the green hair.

6. YellowBelly

I do not have a refugium, running ZEOVIT I am not able to run a fuge.

7. YellowBelly

Update:
    Last night I scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush as best as I could. I also dosed 2 scoops of ZEOzym, 8 mL of KZ Coral Snow, 8 drops of ZEObak, 4 drops of KZ Sponge Power, 0.2 mL of ZEOstart3 and vigorously shook the ZEOlite stones. The rocks look much better and the water clarity is amazing. I think the KZ Coral Snow has a lot to do with the water clarity.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

I am going to continue updating this thread until my tank is better or until it crashes. I woke up this morning to see my corals are very pale, Reefermadness Rainbow Nasuta, TCK Smurf Tenuis, and Toothman's Purple Fire are receding at the base. The 30,000 Leauges Lokani is bleached white and looks dead.
    I did a quick water test:
    Alkalinity – 8.3 (Salifert) 7/19 exp.
    Phosphate – 0.02 (Hanna) 3/17 exp.
    Nitrate - 0.00 (Salifert) 6/16 exp. [totally clear at every light angle]
    After testing I added 0.5 mL of ZEOstart3, 4 drops of Sponge Power, 4 drops of ZEObak, 4 drops of ZEOfood7 and 4 drops of ZEO Amino Acid Concentrate. Fed frozen food today. Now i have to bring the nutrient levels back up! I hate this roller coaster ride. The only thing I did differently was add 2 scoops of ZEOzym and 8 mL of KZ Coral Snow plus scrub the live rock of hair algae. I have used 1 scoop of ZEOzym and 5 mL of KZ Coral Snow in the past but never saw corals get this light. Hopefully dosing ZEOstart3 (nitrate), amino acids and feeding frozen foods will bring my nitrates back up.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

oufff following this too, sorry for your trouble yellowbelly. im not familiar with any of the products you mentioned but im sure one of them is a carbon source? iv started using nopox about 3 weeks ago and my nitrates have considerably dropped, havent tested my phosphates yet though.

im my great ignorance your parameters seem in check, you have values for Ca amd Mg?

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I've always been a fan of fixing issues through water changes. If this was my tank, I would brush the algae daily (maybe even a few times a day), I would increase water changes by doing it more often in small amounts. If read correctly you have a 120? I would do like 20 gallons every other day untill you see improvement.

Billme likes this.
  12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

whats got me perplexed is how do you have so much hair algae if you have zero nitrates and low phosphates?