Deresa!!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by JJL, Feb 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yup........ What if i put one high on the rocks????

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

A derasa prefers to be on the sand. Why do you want a derasa specifically? Seems like they get pretty big for a 34g. Up to 24", but they also grow fast. They can double in size in a year. A It's your tank, so your certainly free to stock what you like, but it seems like a crocea or maxima might be a better fit.

4. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I personally think trying to keep supplements stable in a 34gal will be a nightmare when that clam starts to grow.

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hello I have Derssa in a 45 gallon, was in a 29 gallon- this is also my coral tank, my clam is close to 8-9 inches,started at 5 -6 nearly two years ago. He host's a pair of True Percula Clown Fish, oddly enough- and he loves it. :)

I do not think those lights are sufficient, as well, the Deressa prefers the bottom of the tank- in the sand- at least 2 inches in depth, any where else he will die.

The reason for this is because they like to move around, unlike many other clams. Many times a day you will see this behaviour when they "expel" water to move themselves- this is so they can repostion themselves to their "comfort zone".

As for size, they do not grow 10 inches a year maybe 2 at best, so if size is a concern worry not. Yes they get big in the wild, (and in captivity) but those clams are many years old.

Water flow and good lighting- and a min. 2 inch substrate base is required to keep these guys. Have care what fish you buy as well- certain fish can become a problem. With proper water quaity and filtration no/very little supliments are required, except for food and occational calicium is all that is really ever needed.

If you cant do this- Crocea would be much better for you. IMHO

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

thay need to be on the sand as others have sead but that tank is pritty deep thay do grow fast but is manageable if you plan on future upgrades or just traid it off of a smaller version once it gets to big witch alot of people do ORA in a sence its tank raised witch is a help but thay love lighting mine is doing well but its under 4 vho bulbs @22 inches it would be great if you could put a mh under the canopy ... is that possible ?

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

No I dnt thnk that I will be looking to change lighting anytime soon

8. Click Here!

9. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

i was trying to put a cool DIY thaught in your head lol derasa clams are cool and i love the fact there filter feeders a natural nitrate remover that looks cool who can go wrong but thay need light big time i have been battleing nitrates for a year but a slow flowing fuge with cheato and a clam i watched my nitrates go from 30-40 ml/l with 1 10 % wc a week to less than 10mg/l and i havent done a wc in a month i had to increase doseing here is a pic of mine
    [​IMG]

10. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

It is not possible for it to be 2 55 watt bulbs. Unless your tank is the length of a 55 gallon and the bulbs are 54 watts each, which I highly doubt. lol Do some rechecking on this. Your standard 54w bulb is 48".
    I have never heard of a 55 watt t5 in aquarium use.