Derasa Clam for Biocube 29?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Mkizla, Jun 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Hey 3reef mkizla here. I heard that Derasa clam can do fine under biocube 29 stock PC lighting? Is this true?

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yes, had mine under pc bulbs. make sure there new bulbs and a good brand. 10k-14k is a good spectrum, UVL are good bulbs.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, derasa's don't need a lot of light.

It will however outgrow the tank, but you can "deal" with that later:)

5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

ah okay thanks, any suggestion on the placement in the tank? Also if i buy a 1-2 inch Derasa clam, how long will it take to outgrow the tank?

6. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Mine was located mid point in the tank. I have heard you want to purchase a 3+ inch clam to minimize feeding requirement (mine was almost 3.5 inches). It has been 6 months and is now 3.6 inches. With the LED lights I moved the clam to the front middle bottom of the Biocube and it seems to be very happy :)

Here is a picture of my Biocube 29 with stock lighting and the placement of my Derasa:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/members/kelley11-albums-biocube-29-picture6157-p1000452.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. Daniel521

Daniel521 Flamingo Tongue

I just purchased my first derasa today which is going under CF's. My buddy at the LFS advised me to place it in the sand of my 90 gallon tank. He is usually pretty good with his advice but this time I am a little skeptical since I figured the higher up the better with this lighting. Is there any truth to his idea that the clam doesn't like being placed in the rockwork and will do better in the sand? Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Derasas are sand dwellers. Since this type of clam is a deeper water type of clam, it does not need the intense light of MH or t5s.

My derasa has grown a ton under mh and t5ho.