Derasa Clam closed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by deepgreen, Jul 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I think the epoxy is a coincidence. My sps tank is full of epoxy and my clam is fine. I do know this, my tank that I house a clam in has 0 nitrates. I run phosban on this tank too and it does fine. I know from experience the liquid phosphate removers will kill a clam because they bond to the phosphates and these stay in the water. clams dine on this and it will kiill them.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Heck yes. Remove any adults that you see and dip it in fresh r.o. water. Before you dip, make sure that the fresh water is at the same temperature and ph as your tank water. Dip for approximately 15-20 minutes and keep a close eye on the clam. You may want to plan to dip it weekly if you continue to see more snails.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Dip the clam ASAP if you saw one then there are many more , We had one at the shop that was removed form a clients tank as it was sick :) I dipped it and remove enough snails to 1/2 way fill a test vial from a salifert kit. the one with the cap and goes to a square like bottom I counted 280 and looked to be about half of the and stopped , I reccomend anyone to always dip a clam before adding it to the tank. I do I have seen more worms and snails and things I did not know what they where to be puked out in the freshwater.
    But Like mentioned just get the temps close and buffer the water a bit ..Close DKH is good Clams are rather tough really .

5. deepgreen

deepgreen Plankton

OK I gave him a dip - temperature and DKH matched. Noticed that he was gapping during and after the dip. Likely he was before, only I could not spot this from the position he was in . So I hear this is a real bad sign - just have to wait.

Thanks for great advice.

6. deepgreen

deepgreen Plankton

OK here is an update of the power of the freshwater dip. The clam now seems to be doing fine - fully open with light, mantle extended etc - no ill signs. As well no signs of small snails.

The dip certainly reversed the down hill path of this one - thanks.

1 person likes this.
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Much of anything purge out of it little snails worms ? I'd never add a clam unless I dipped it first. The dip has saved more then a few clams I had to deal with over the yrs. Just give it a few weeks and maybe hit it again I would .. You may have more prediators in the sand ? also maybe set it on a flat rock or 1/2 shell to help protect the clams base .