Derasa Clam closed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by deepgreen, Jul 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. deepgreen

deepgreen Plankton

I have a derasa clam which I thought was doing great. But over the last few days it remains closed for most of the day. Opens in the morning for 2-3 hours then shuts up. I can't see it being bothered or nipped at. Some details:
    Lights are pfo led lighting, clam is one third up - getting lots of light. Water quality good: no detectable nitrate, nitrite or ammonia. Everything else doing great.

Should I be concerned ? Anything to be done ?

Thanks for your help.

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

maybe its cause they feed on nitrates??? i know someone with a 180, and he has 0 nitrates, and has killed around 15-20 clams, and i have relaly high nitrates and have a 6-7 inch derasa clam and he has been fine for a long time, so maybe there is a coincidence?? (SP?)

so maybe he liked to filter for the 2-3 then doesnt want to waste the energy for the ret of the day with getting little to no food?

i am no expert thats just my thought.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

have you added any phosphate remover????

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

crap I didn't mean to quote that above me

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't concern myself about lack of nitrates. I have "0" nitrates in my tank and my clams do just fine. I would be more concerned about parasites. Have you checked underneath the clam for pyramid snails or worms? Have you tried a freshwater dip on the clam? I have also heard about certain phosphate removers having a detrimental affect on clams but am not sure which brand(s) are potentially "dangerous".

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd dip it asap I bet its full or snails or worms , If you check under it becarful to not harm its base .

8. Click Here!

9. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

10. deepgreen

deepgreen Plankton

OK I checked underneath and I found one small pyramid snail- very small. The clam is closed so I cannot check inside. Is this a cause for a freshwater dip?

I do have a two little fishes phosphate remover - I use opti-phos. Should I remove this ?

11. deepgreen

deepgreen Plankton

One more matter - before it closed I did some epoxy work using Aqua Scape on the reef that made the water a little cloudy. Possibly the next day I noticed the clam closing. May be a coincidence.

12. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Clams do feed off phosphates, so the remover could have an effect but doubtful. I run phospban on my tanks with no issue. Do make sure when running any phosphate remover to run about 5 gallons of water through it before running in your tank to reduce the chance of getting remover traces in your water. On the epoxy, take a Turkey baster and blow the clam off in case some residue settled on him-her.