Dennis-1/Hair algae-0

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DSC reef, May 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thanks marshall. Should I manually remove it or let it be for now. I wish I wasn't so anal man, I see it and my girlfriend says I act like its the end of the world. LMAO

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'd probably remove as much as I could manually (not by scrubbing each rock like you did before)......it's just that once it's there, the spores can spread to other places. If you have a couple places where it's concentrated, try the peroxide....I would only do one or two rocks though to start. Do you run any phosphate remover like phosguard or GFO? I use phosguard in my hang on filter and (knock on wood) I don't have hair algae issues for the most part.......I also run pellets though too.....

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I heard about using a toothbrush diped in peroxide and it sounded like a really pro idea to me.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is a good idea.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I have phosgaurd but I ran it and it seemed like my corals didn't like it to much so I pulled it out. I'll give it another round. If it gets bad I'll pull the rock and dip the toothbrush in peroxide this time. I thought hair algae was like bubble algae so I never tried removing it in the tank. I hate seeing the patches pop up but I guess my sally lightfoots and cuc need something to eat. Lol

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

If everything in your tank is clean, aka the sump\skimmer\pumps\behind rocks\etc, then the nutrients might be bound up inside of the rocks. I've heard this can happen, but never experienced it myself. If this is the case, it might take a while of scrubbing\re-growing algae and rescrubbing before they are gone. Or cooking the rock.

One thing that helped in my algae problems was special blend bacteria. It eats the sludge that can accumulate in rocks\pumps.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

You need a nutrient export system that is more efficient than your input. What you have now is not (it doesn't actually matter what it is, if things are getting worse, you need more export). The problem is once you get the system in place, your tank could be so saturated with stored up nutrients that it could keep leeching back out for months and months. You need to be patient and keep slurping it up.

My personal preference is biopellets and a good skimmer, but there are many ways to do this. You want to make sure your choice is effective and you need to be patient.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

This could likely be from the Phosguard clearing up the water and so increased lighting to all corals. If you have a way to raise lighting or decrease intensity, I would say to try to run Phosguard again.

11. ROAST N BEEF

ROAST N BEEF Astrea Snail

that is a really nice looking tank :eek:

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thank you very much.