Dennis-1/Hair algae-0

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DSC reef, May 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Looks great SS!! You could not have had that much hair algae! I've not noticed hardly any when you've posted pics of your tanks!

FWIW, for those rocks that just seem to love hair algae, I've used the peroxide method and it really does work as stated. I have one rock that for some reason, always gets hair algae, I'm not sure why probably flow or something......

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

There was quite a bit and spread like wild fire. I'm a bit anal so a lot to me might not be a lot to someone else. I just couldn't believe how quick it took over. How did you do the peroxide, just on the algae spots? I'm loving the new light and so are my corals ;D

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, pulled the rock, dabbed on some peroxide with a Qtip, let it sit about 5 minutes, rinsed off with saltwater and put back in the tank....it does take a couple days to disappear but it will guaranteed

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thanks. Sounds like an easier plan for next time.

6. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

tank looks great!! What kind of lighting do you use?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thank you. I use a 36" current nova pro 6 bulb T-5 fixture with ATI bulbs. This thing is amazing. Lol

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That didn't last long, hair algae is back in full force! Damn, I thought I had the upper hand here. My phosphates and nitrates are 0, I'm baffled. I added 3 sally lightfoot crabs and a lawnmower blenny but it doesn't seem like there even touching it. Any suggestions? this is discouraging:angry:

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

How much do you feed? How long is your lighting period? Does sunlight hit the tank? How many lbs of LR in the tank?

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm thinking its a nutrient problem. I feed my corals a few times a week with reef chili and I'm sure it leaves a lot in the water coloum. My lighting could be cut back as well. I have a lot of live rock, not sure on the pounds but more than is required.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That is where I would put my money then (nutrient issue). Try to cut back feeding corals at least half and see what happens. I would probably leave your lights where they are for now, until you can see if cutting back on coral feedings helps.