Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Now that's a pretty neat gadget! I use a child size medicine syringe now (looks like a little turkey baster, but about 5 inches long). It works well, but my arms are always in the tank, wet, dripping on the carpet, etc. I may have to check into that! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I moved my dendro recently because I just didn't like where it was.

It is now usually open. It is looking awesome. I have been (for the first time) adding cyclo-pleeze to the tank every few days (with skimmer off). Wanted to share a reasonably nice pic.

[​IMG]

in perspective a bit

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Triplemom

Nice, Peredhil! Mine is doing well as well. I keep waiting on "baby dendros," but no luck there yet. ;D

5. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I was going to wait a little longer to "confirm" my thoughts but I had noticed in the last few days (maybe a week or so) that mine has not been open as much as he had in the past few months.

I have a hunch it is due to me cutting back the frequency of my water changes. Since I started using Seachem's "Purigen" my NO3 is less than .02ppm so I feed more frequently and found I could cut water changes back to monthly. I could probablly go months but even though I dose with supplements, I know there are trace elements I cant add.

I keep my params as follows;
    Mg-1350-1400
    Ca-450
    KH- 10.5
    PO4-less than .02
    and NO3- also less than .02

I dose Iodine weekly, Strontium every 4th day, and Coral Vite weekly.
    Prior to using the Purigen my NO2 was always between 20-25ppm and I would do a 20 gallon water change evry other week, and that was mainly (as I thought) mto help keep NO3 down. My tank is 75 gallons

Well I have noticed a slight change in some corals and my guess is the water not getting changed. I'm going to go back to 20 gallons and do it every 3rd week and see how that goes but my hunch is it is the more frequent water changes that helped in keeping mine open.

Sorry for the long story-just thought I'ld share what I think is going on

6. jhunlee154

jhunlee154 Plankton

That is an amazing looking coral. Same family as a duncan? look pretty close to a duncan but that is definitely more colorful.

7. Triplemom

I moved my duncan and it seems to be happier. I freed it from the frag plug and glued it directly to a rock. The dendro is still doing its thing - sometimes it will be out for days, then sometimes not. It still looks good, so I'm leaving it be for now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Your Duncan is looking good. How did you free it from the plug?

I should be getting a Dendro later this week, so I'm tagging along for info. I also have a single headed Duncan that is doing really well. Very aggressive eater. I like them because they are like anemonees that can't move.

1 person likes this.
  10. Reefnjunkie

Very nice, target that thing and it will go nuts. One of the easiest corals I have.
    My Dendro has been in a bit of a funk since I posted last. Thats were I was thinking it was from lack of frequent water changes. Not so sure about that anymore. Its stillout during the Halide hours but I would say presently thats only 4 of the 8 hours they are one. I have heard ( have not confirmed/denied, just heard) that having to low of Nitrates is not such a good thing. Back when it was always open my NO3 was between 20-25 at the peak between water changes, 10ppm just after that water change.
    Since adding that Purigen my NO3 is about .01ppm, almost undetectable-
    HMMMM- maybe thats it ;D:eek::confused:

You just got to love this hobby, always has you learning- OR guessing.

Nice looking specimen you have there Mom, looks like mine did when I first got it, yours being a little bigger

1 person likes this.
  11. Reefnjunkie

Unsubscribed earlier sorry:cry:

Yes they are the same family.

Welcome to to 3Reef!! pretty good people here-except for me of course-I've been banned everywhere else-JK

Enjoy the site and POST PICS

12. Triplemom

Please tag along! Thanks for the compliment. As far as freeing it from the plug, I'm pretty barbaric. I use those cutting things that are supposed to cut open those horrible hard plastic packages....I can usually get between the plug and the glue base and snip. Works every time. ;D I haven't lost a frag yet because of my barbaric method.....I actually sent an acro flying across the room once and it's my favorite acro now!

1 person likes this.