Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Updated photo

I current photo

See Mom, mine is like yours-not always open;)

Anyway I dug up an original shot that is from 7-15-09 and it had 3 heads witha pretty strong run for a fourth.

9 weeks later 4 distinct heads and I counted 16 (that I can see) new mouths, heads, polyps-I dont know the operative word????

Anywho here it is;
    [​IMG]
    I have slacked a little and only target feed it maybe twice a week but I will get back to 3 times at least-recent reef project all finished

2. Click Here!

3. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I wish my dendro would grow some heads!! It target feeds well and has been out way more lately....I want baby dendros! :cry:

Oh, and I keep my specific gravity around 1.025 and temp about 78.

1 person likes this.
  4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

How do you guys target feed your dendro?

Is it along the tweezers/fingers give it a chunk of meat feeding or along the turkey baster blowing some food solution across it line of feeding?

5. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

I use a big 60cc syringe (holds 1/4 cup). Mussels, squid, cyclops, mysis....whatever is good. At first, it would extend during the day. But for the past 3 months, only at night. I'm going to place it up off of the bottom in easier access location. 8)

1 person likes this.
  6. Reefnjunkie

I bought from a member on Reef Sanctuary 2 large eye droppers I guess, they are 24 " long and he can custom make them any length you want.

I bought the straight one first and then had him make the one with the curve. They are purex so VERY durable. I dont even use the straight one anymore, but keep it just in case.

No more reaching in the tank, and its funny I have all the fish and even shrimp trained to eat from it-It also comes in VERY handy when I have to suck the Nudibranchs from my zooanthids-Extremely useful!!!!
    Here are pics;
    [​IMG]

and here is a link,
    Anyone need anything made out of pyrex? - Reef Sanctuary

His name is Jay and will make anything you might want-I bought the "pod house" as well for my mandarin, but sadly (like to many) mine did not live-whole other thread that one is.

They ran like 20.00 a piece but would save money on shipping had it not been 2 seperate orders-by far the best 20.00 I have ever spent-you need one of theses and for sure get the bend in the end, it makes it handy to reach around the back and get under rocks
    I used to you use a turkey baster and get all wet and it was a mess cleaning up-water everywhere from putting my arm in the tank...
    The turkey baster is like performing surgery with a chain saw and the dropper is like using a scapel-IMO

1 person likes this.
  7. Reefnjunkie

Be patient I know it will, epecially now that its shaded and you are feeding it!!

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

10. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

This thread has me thinking of using a discount coupon at my LFS to get a dendro polyp or three. Usually they have them for 18-20 bucks per head. I feel a little more confident trying to keep a dendro because I have a 60+ head sun coral colony that's been growing very well and looks great, been in tank 4 months or so now. I think I would feed a dendro like I do the sun coral; I transfer it, while submerged, into a mesh breeder cage and hang it in the tank away from the flow sources, and target feed in there so I know it's getting what I target and the shrimp and sailfin tang don't steal it all.

11. Reefnjunkie

I saw this AFTER I got the dropper, it like how it is extendable, but really like the bend the dropper has. I have those green plastic tongs for the meaty things.
    If it was not for the bend I would buy that one. That bend is great for getting behind the rock work I have

12. Reefnjunkie

If you have had that success with a sun coral-this will be like a walk in the park. I have seen 2-liter pop bottles cut off and placed over suns for feeding and all kinds of contraptions-The sun was what I was going to buy but I was told it RARELY is open during the time the Halides are on-then I ran across the Dendro and since they are so similar the decision was easy.
    18-20 a head I am finding is a great price.
    Just make sure i is in a low (very) light area, or not Direct light I guess-at least that whats working for me.

They are really pretty corals-
    I dont think I posted this pic-it was in older reef photo file I had;
    [​IMG]

Go get one you'll be glad you did!