Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

My Duncan for sure was my favorite coral, but that of course was before I ran acroos the Dendros, now they are my Fave.
    My LFS gets Dendros and sells them for 18.00 per head-I would be more than happy to get anyone here some if they want-I am merely the middle man though, cant do the "arrive live" stuff like a wholesaler does-so that probablly squishes the cost savings.

I know its off topic but someone mentioned Duncans-LOL
    here is my Duncan on 2-22-09-I think it had 3 large heads;
    [​IMG]

and here it is last week-last count I think I had 26 potential heads-not a good shot, I was playing with the camera trying to get a photo of my Purple Tang-still getting the hang of the camera;

[​IMG]

OK OK, stay on topic-Maybe a Duncan thread also-LOL

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Duncan thread it up dude

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, I've seen them for $30 a head in the more expensive stores here. Reefj and Triple thanks for the pics those are awesome. I would really love to try one of these but I'm too skeered. I have a sun coral that I still can't get to come out. It opens about half way.

1 person likes this.
  5. Reefnjunkie

Thats what kept me shy of the Dendro-the not opening, and then the owner tells me thats what makes these guys so cool, is they can stay open all day-they do prefer low light but I've seen them open in direct light-less of course. So I gave it a whirl, and was very glad I did.
    I have a wholesaler just 10 miles away, he also sells on Ebay and presently has 3 Dendro listings-Sometimes he's a little generous when counting "true" heads. Here is a 10 head listing currently 26.00
    Live Coral Dendrophyllia Open all day B (10) Heads - eBay (item 400069181400 end time Aug-30-09 14:27:00 PDT)
    I got some Scolymias that way that eneded being 60-70 a piece-I bid on 4 and won them all-eneded up selling 2 of them-no room for 4
    here is a link to him, he has really nice stuff-I've bought from him 3x

Back to my chores-Hopefully have time for some fragging later.

1 person likes this.
  6. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

That's not fair! The rest of us have to pay a zillion dollars in shipping to get that stuff!

Duncan is definitely allowed on this thread! They all fall in the Dendrophyllidae Family (dendro, duncan, sun coral for short - long fancy names I can't pronounce).

My duncan:
    [​IMG]

Not the best picture (I was fiddling with stuff in the sump and sent sediment flying everywhere), but it's done far better than my dendro! I got them at about the same time, probably 3 months ago. The dendro is actually out this morning. Jwin was fiddling with our power heads yesterday and rearranged the flow a bit.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

[​IMG]

There's my dendro. He is finally happy. I have him directly underneath rock so that he is always in shade.

That was the trick.

I feed it directly maybe once a month (usually raw shrimp). Other than that, I assume it eats when I feed my fish a variety of things.

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Yay! Finally!

10. Reefnjunkie

Glad to see pics-I totally agree it has to be the light that is the different factor between mine and "moms"

Mom-I know you adjusted the PH's but if you can (more than you have) see if there is a real shaded spot.

I dont know where I heard or read it, but I remeber beingtold/read that you needed to feed it 2-3 times a week since they do not have the "Zooanthy" thingy. I'll read up so I can reference it by the correct name but ya'll know its what the thing that turns sunlight into energy.

OK- I love google, its "Zooxanthella"-LOL I was close, anyway that was part of the reason I target feed mine at least 2 times a week-I was told it lacks that.

I know mine gets, mysis, and cyclopeze as well as the phyto and oyster feast I put in the tank-in addition to the target feedings.

Oh well, I know its like my RBTA-the more I feed it the more it grows-thats why I STOPPED feeding my nem-he was getting to big-Then the sucker split-ARG

11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well since I dont have a dendro yet.(going to get one after reading this lol) I will post a pic of my duncan.pics a little old its got 2 new heads forming..the lfs near me is selling the dendros for 30 a head...ouch!!..but they they are really brightly colored..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Mine too $29.99 ea. I got one from the ocean, its not as pretty as the one pictured, but beggers cant be choosers, it was free and has doubled in size from when I first got it.

[​IMG]

You can double click on this pic and get a real nice close up.
    [​IMG]

Luna

1 person likes this.